Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

28 September 2009

1774 – Former Hospital, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: George Ensor Built as the city hospital in 1774, and now an outreach campus for Queens University Belfast. Deceptively small, the ground falls away behind the main fa├žade to allow for more...

25 September 2009

1776 – Derrymore House, Bessbrook, Co. Armagh

Architect: John Sutherland A late 18th century thatched house in a gentrified style, Derrymore House is owned by the National Trust and open to the public. John Sutherland was responsible for laying out...

25 July 2013

1776 – St Anne’s Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Francis Hiorne Commisioned by by Arthur, 5th Earl of Donegall, and named after his wife, St Anne’s was designed by English architect Francis Hiorne of Warwick. Constructed on the site of the...

15 July 2012

1776c – Downhill House, Co. Derry

Architect: Michael Shanahan Frederick Hervey commissioned work at Downhill Demesne near the village of Castlerock in the early 1770s, after he was made the Bishop of Derry in 1768. Built by the architect...

28 September 2009

1780 – Former Jail, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley / William Murray The old jail building is sited at the opposite end of the Mall from the Courthouse. This must have made for a depressing last journey from sentencing,...

18 February 2014

1780s – Camla Vale, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

After World War II, when nearby Rossmore Castle developed a severe case of dry rot, the 6th Lord Rossmore and his family were forced to leave the castle and take up residence in...

29 September 2009

1781 – Anketell’s Grove, Emyvale, Co. Monaghan

The third Anketell’s Grove (the other two being replaced by each subsequent house on different sites) was originally built in 1781. A five bayed house with curved sweeps to two small wings, the...

30 November 2011

1781 – Baronscourt, Newtownstewart, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Soane, Richard Morrison, William Vitruvius Morrison Originally built as a 5-bay, 3-storey house for James Hamilton, 8th Earl of Abercorn in 1781 by George Steuart. Remodelled a couple of years later...

20 February 2009

1783 – Robert Adam’s designs for Castle Upton, Co. Antrim

Architect: Robert Adam Designs by Scottish neo-classical architect Robert Adam for a redevelopment of Castle Upton. Adam raised and machiolated the pair of round towers from the original castle and gave them high,...