Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

12 June 2013

1945 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Carndonagh, Co. Donegal

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Large Roman Catholic church that proclaims its position over the town and countryside. Done in a vaguely Italianate style with the campanile and crossing tower and dome, described as...

28 September 2009

1956 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Architect: William H. Byrne & Son Unattractive church from the 1950s, designed by Simon Leonard of William H. Byrne & Son, Dublin. The building is described by the diocese as Hiberno-Romanesque but somehow...

24 February 2012

1959 – St. Mary’s National School, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Office of Public Works Fine example of a standardised design school from the Office of Public Works. There was a range of different sizes ranging from three classrooms upwards. While this school...

19 July 2012

1960s – Mullenan Land Boundary Post, Co. Derry

Design for a border crossing Customs & Excise post for Mullenan Co. Derry. Designs for such posts were fairly standard with similar buildings being constructed in various locations.

07 January 2012

1965 – Microbiology Building, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast

Architect: Sir Hugh Casson Designed in 1961 and completed by 1965, the Microbiology Building is part of Queen’s University on the Royal Victoria Hospital campus.

25 September 2009

1966 – Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Newcastle, Co. Down

Our Lady of the Assumption Church was first opened on 12th June 1966. The church is reputed to be the first circular church in Ireland and is now a listed building as ‘an...

31 January 2011

1966 – Churchill House, Belfast

Architect: Department of Finance Chief Architects Branch Nineteen story office building constructed by the Post Office as a base for the telephone network – later British Telecom. A grim slab of a building,...

21 March 2014

1966 – St. Joseph’s Church, Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan

Architect: Philip Cullivan Built to replace an older church erected in 1834. A central part of the design was to allow natural light throughout the church. Four sources of light are arranged, one...

25 September 2009

1967 – St. Aengus’ Church, Burt, Co. Donegal

Architect: Liam McCormick The eminent Donegal architect Liam McCormick designed St. Aengus’ Church or “˜Burt Chapel’ as it is locally known during the period of 1964-67. McCormick’s distinct ability to read a site...