Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

24 September 2009

1935 – Sinclairs Department Store, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: James Scott A fine building, developed as a department store in the 1930s and opposite the Bank of Ireland, Sinclairs building is now divided into different premises but its exterior remains to...

27 September 2012

1936 – Ritz Cinema, Fisherwick Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Kemp & Tasker When constructed it was the largest cinema in Northern Ireland with over 2,200 seats, 1000 of those on the massive balcony. Harland & Wolff supplied the 40-tonne girder which...

27 September 2012

1936 – The Tonic Cinema, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: John McBride Neill Designed by the foremost cinema architect in Northern Ireland, and considered his masterpiece, The Tonic was the largest Cinema in Ireland with 2,001 seats at the time. The Tonic...

30 September 2009

1936 – Water Tower, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Engineer: Patrick McCarthy The town Water Tower is sited on a prominant hill overlooking the town and is built of reinforced concrete. Unlike many of these towers, the Monaghan tower has one wide...

24 September 2009

1939 – BBC Bedford House, Belfast

Architect: James Millar Monolithic brick structure on a curved site with some simple brick detailing on stairwells to the rear.

28 September 2009

1942 – Cathedral of Saints Patrick and Felim, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: William H. Byrne & Son The original Cathedral of the diocese of Kilmore was situated about four miles south of Cavan town in the present parish of Kilmore. Some time in the...

12 June 2013

1945 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Carndonagh, Co. Donegal

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Large Roman Catholic church that proclaims its position over the town and countryside. Done in a vaguely Italianate style with the campanile and crossing tower and dome, described as...

28 September 2009

1956 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Architect: William H. Byrne & Son Unattractive church from the 1950s, designed by Simon Leonard of William H. Byrne & Son, Dublin. The building is described by the diocese as Hiberno-Romanesque but somehow...

24 February 2012

1959 – St. Mary’s National School, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Office of Public Works Fine example of a standardised design school from the Office of Public Works. There was a range of different sizes ranging from three classrooms upwards. While this school...