Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

24 September 2009

1849 – Lanyon Building, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Sir Charles Lanyon Sir Charles Lanyon designed the main building of Queen’s University of Belfast in 1849 which now bears his name. The building is famous for its long Gothic Revival facade...

24 September 2009

1844 – Saint Malachy’s Church, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson Originally Saint Malachy’s was intended to be the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Down and Connor and was to seat 7,000 worshippers but in the time when the Great...

23 September 2009

1882 – Christ Church, Ballyculter, Co. Down

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew The original church was built in 1629 by Valentine Payne and there is an inscription on the bell to Elizabeth Payne, wife of Valentine. It was restored – renovated...

17 September 2009

1910 – Queen’s University, Belfast

Architect: Henry Tanner Second placed scheme for buildings adjacent to the Lanyon Building of Queen’s.

17 September 2009

1903 – Ocean & Accident & Gaurantee Corporation, Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie One of the great commercial buildings on Donegall Square and built between 1899-1902 in a Gothic Revival style. The building in red sandstone has a tall pinnacled corner tower...

17 September 2009

1905 – New Northern Spinning & Weaving Company, Spinning Mill, Belfast

Architect: Samuel Stevenson Architects Large six storey mill at the junction of Craig Street and Falls Road. Constructed of brick with stone dressings for the New Northern Spinning & Weaving Company. Craig Street...

17 September 2009

1903 – Royal Victoria Infirmary, Belfast

Architect: Henman & Cooper Drawings published in The Building News in 1901. Buildings completed by 1903. The range consisted of 17 wards off a connecting corridor – all the wards were named after...

17 September 2009

1907 – Warehouse, Library Street, Belfast

Architect: William J. Fennell Built as Library House for Robert Watson & Co, a firm of cabinet makers and upholsterers. The building has a dramatic round turret, largely glazed at ground and first...

17 September 2009

1885 – Thompson Memorial Home for Incurables, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: Godfrey W. Ferguson This fine building was erected in 1885 as “Thompson House for the Incurables”, named after a local surgeon (William Thompson MD) who had tragically died three years earlier. Endowments...