Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

06 January 2012

1785 – White Linen Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Roger Mulholland Large building with enclosed square for the selling of what was then Belfast’s most important product. Three relatively unadorned facades, with a central tower dominating the primary frontage. Demolished in...

29 June 2010

1786 – Campbell House, Plumbridge, Co. Tyrone

Aghalane House or more commonly known at the Campbell House was built by by Hugh Campbell in 1786 near Plumbridge, County Tyrone. Above the doorway he placed two stone plaques, one bearing his...

15 October 2012

1787 – Ballyscullion House, Co. Derry

Architect: Michael Shanahan Ballyscullion House was one of three eccentric palaces built by the equally eccentric Frederick Augustus Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol and Lord Bishop of Derry. The other two were at...

26 March 2014

1789 – Bishop Gate, City Walls, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: Henry Aaron Baker The present Bishop Gate was built in 1789 as a triumphal arch to mark the first centenary of the closing of the gates by The Apprentice Boys of Derry....

29 September 2009

1789 – St. Finbarr’s Church of Ireland, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan

Fine eighteenth century church in a dominant elevated position at the end of the main street of the town. There was an uexecuted proposal by English architects Slater & Carpenter for the addition...

19 February 2014

1789 – Templetown Mausoleum, Castle Upton, Co. Antrim

Architect: Robert Adam The mausoleum was built in 1789 for the Rt. Hon. Arthur Upton and is situated in the grounds of Castle Upton. One of Robert Adam’s few works in Ireland, it...

29 September 2009

1790 – Former St. Luke’s Church of Ireland, Killeevan, Co. Monaghan

Set in an old graveyard, now only the tower remains of this former Church of Ireland. The stepped tower has a simple Georgian doorway surmounted by a plaque with a Latin inscription. A...

07 January 2012

1790 – Meeting-House, Rosemary Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Dr. Drummond’s Meeting-House, Second Congregation, Rosemary Street, was built 1790, nad demolished 1964. It is believed that architect Francis Hiorne who designed St. Anne’s Church was consulted on the design. It is unclear...

01 April 2014

1790c – Drumcairne, Stewartstown, Co. Tyrone

A fine late Georgian house, used by the Earl of Charlemont as his home after Roxborough Castle was burnt in 1922.