Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

29 September 2009

1792 – Market House, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Colonel William Hayes The Market House was designed by Colonel William Hayes of Avondale, County Wicklow and stands in the middle of Market Square. The building is of five bays in length...

13 October 2014

1795 – 1st Bailieborough Presbyterian Church, Co. Cavan

Corglass Congregation was founded in 1714.

25 September 2009

1798 – Castle Coole, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: James Wyatt Castle Coole was constructed between 1789-1798 as the summer retreat of Armar Lowry-Corry, the 1st Earl of Belmore. Lord Belmore was the Member of Parliament for County Tyrone in the...

29 September 2009

1799 – Hope Castle, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Robert Woodgate Known also as Blayney Castle after the plantation castle nearby (from which the town gets its name), Hope Castle has had many owners and uses over the years. Originally a...

29 September 2009

17th C – Old Cross, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

The origins of the Old Cross are unclear. It’s unclear if it were even a cross – sepculation suggests that it may have been a seventeenth century sundial. It has an unusual head...

09 December 2014

1800 – Market House, Kilkeel, Co. Down

Sited at the top of Kilmorey Square, the Market House contained a covered market space at ground level with a municipal space above. The upper floor was used as a courthouse and also...

27 November 2013

1802 – Farnham House, Co. Cavan

Architect: Francis Johnston A large addition around 1802 by Francis Johnston gave the house its current form today. This is the latter day surviving Farnham House, which is now incorporated as the centrepiece...

28 November 2012

1803 – Killymoon Castle, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Nash Killymoon Castle is one of John Nash’s earliest castles, built ca 1803 for William Stewart MP, incorporating part of the previous house which was burnt ca 1800. Built on a...

15 October 2012

1807 – Kilwaughter Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Nash The present building incorporates a Scottish style plantation house of ca 1622, built by Patrick Agnew. Between 1803-07 the present Georgian castle was built for Edward Jones Agnew by John...