Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

29 June 2010

1810 – Mellon Homestead, Omagh, Co. Tyrone

The centre piece of the Ulster-American Folk Park is the Mellon Homestead which is still on its original site. A traditional thatched cottage in the Ulster vernacular with a cluster of small outbuildings...

29 June 2010

1811 – Caledon House, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Nash The estate was bought from the seventh Earl of Cork for £94,400 by James Alexander (later first Earl of Caledon) in 1776. Between 1806 and 1811 the first Earl of...

29 September 2009

1812 – Castle Leslie Gate Lodge, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John Nash Appealing gothick treatment for a gate lodge to the main castle. Unusual in that the main house is in a Scottish baronial style. The facade is a charming sham, a...

29 September 2009

1812 – Castle Leslie Gothic Gateway, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John Nash Simple yet elegant design leading to the long avenue to the castle. Now unused, the gates themselves have fallen into disrepair. There is an unusual gatehouse adjacent also designed by...

10 April 2013

1812 – Garvey House, Aughnacloy, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Francis Johnston A large three-storey, seven-bay house, for local MP, Nathaniel Montgomery Moore. The house was named after his mother’s maiden name. Ultimately the cost was said to have been £70,000, which...

18 February 2014

1814 – Newbliss House, Newbliss, Co. Monaghan

An early 19th century house of two storeys with a five bay main front. The enclosed porch features two Ionic columns. Owned by the Ker family who largely developed the village of Newbliss,...

28 September 2009

1815 – Market House, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Duff On a steeply sloped site in Market Square, the former Market House featured an open arcade of arches at ground level (to the rear of the façade above). Later the...

06 March 2012

1817 – Fanad Lighthouse, Co. Donegal

Architect: George Halpin Construction started in 1812-13 with the tone brought pre-cut from North Wall, Dublin. Light first lit St Patrick’s Day 1817.

28 September 2009

1818 – Orange Hall, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Unusual Orange Hall that consiste of a later hall from 1950 built behind an older building of 1818 with twin pediments and coach arches.