Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Unbuilt Ireland

08 December 2011

1883 – Unexecuted design for National Museum & Library, Dublin

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son The selected design after an architectural competition to design a complex of museum and library around Leinster House (then part of the Royal Dublin Society). This design differs...

14 March 2014

1883 – Design for National Museum, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew One of the entries to design a new National Museum and Library around Leinster House, then belonging to the Royal Dublin Society. The results of the original architecture competition...

06 March 2014

1883 – Design for National Museum, Kildare St., Dublin

Architect: G.P. Beater An unexecuted competition design by Dublin architect G.P. Beater to design a complex of museum and library around Leinster House, then part of the Royal Dublin Society. Published in The...

27 February 2011

1884 – Proposed New Chambers, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: William Mitchell A proposal to replace the Rubics in Trinity College with a covered bridge to the Long Room Library. In the end the Rubrics were remodelled.

16 July 2014

1884 – Design for High Altar

Architect: L.A. McDonnell Presumed never constructed, this sketch design by L.A. McDonnell was carried out while still in the employ of J.F. Fuller. “We this week publish a sketch design for a high...

25 March 2014

1884 – Design for St. Patrick’s Church, Kilkenny

Architect: Walter G. Doolin Unsuccessful entry in a limited competition to design a new church in 1884. By 1887, the Irish Builder was reporting that “owing to the lamented death of the late...

23 April 2014

1884 – Gate Lodge, Antrim Castle, Co, Antrim

Architect: William J. Fennell Unbuilt design for a new gate-lodge for Antrim Castle. Design was exhibited at the RHA in 1884 and published in The Irish Builder, October 15 1885.

27 February 2011

1884 – Lyceum Theatre, Dublin

Architect: Arthur Dudgeon Proposal for a huge theatre at the junction of Tara Street and Pearse Street (on the site of the now former Fire Station by C.J. McCarthy) that was never built,...

08 December 2011

1884 – Uncompleted designs for St. Saviour’s Priory, Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson Design for an priory with enclosed quadrangle adjacent to St. Saviour’s Church. Built in a modified form, the building was never fully completed. Ironically the funds for this building...