Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Unbuilt Ireland

06 January 2012

1847 – Design for County Court House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon Unbuilt design proposal for County Court House by Charles Lanyon. With its curved screen walls, it is extremely reminiscent of the former Parliament Building in Dublin. As it was the...

05 June 2010

1848 – Unbuilt Design for St Peter’s & Paul Church, Monasterevin, Co. Kildare

Architect: William Deane Butler Uncompleted design for the Roman Catholic church of Monasterevin, the main front being constructed to the top of the nave.

28 February 2012

1850s – Road Viaduct, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: William Aher Proposal to build a new street running through Trinity College from Nassau Street to Moss Street. The design seems to show metal arched spans on stone piers.

23 May 2012

1851 – Unbuilt Railway Station, Malahide, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Papworth Proposed design for a new Station Building for the Dublin and Drogheda Railway at Malahide in the early 1870s.

22 November 2011

1852 – Scutch Mills for Flax

Architect: Board of Works Erection of Buildings suitable to Scutch Mills for Flax in Ireland, and for the Formation of Water Courses and Weirs necessary for Providing Water-Power for the same.

04 January 2012

1856 – Design for Wellington Testimonial, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Sir Robert Smirke “Of all the public monuments hitherto raised in honor of the Duke of Wellington, that of the Citizens of Dublin is, if not the most graceful, at least the...

11 March 2014

1861 – Design for SS Peter & Paul Church, Moate, Co. Westmeath

Architect: John Bourke Although the foundation stone was laid in 1861, a disagreement between the architect John Bourke and the parish priest, in effect the client, meant that work stopped. Work began again...

24 March 2014

1861 – Design for Unitarian Church, Dublin

Architect: James Bell Unsuccessful entry in competition to design a new Unitarian Church on St. Stephen’s Green. This entry by was described in The Irish Builder: “the materials proposed to be employed in...

06 May 2014

1861 – St. Mary’s Institute for Catholic Blind Females, Harold’s Cross, Dublin

Architect: Charles Geoghegan Proposal for an asylum for the blind at Harold’s Cross. Described by the architect, Charles Geoghegan as “The entire range of new buildings presents a frontage to the south of...