Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

11 June 2014

1885 – Holy Ghost Hospital, Waterford

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Founded in 1545, in the nineteenth century the hospital removed to the suburbs and in 1882 construction of the present hospital was started. A stone over the main entrance reads...

10 June 2014

1908 – Swimming Baths, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Kaye-Parry & Ross Originally opened in 1842 and rebuilt by the town council in 1908. In 1843, John Croswaithe built baths on the corner of Scotsman’s Bay. Originally known as the Royal...

10 June 2014

1933 – Bleach Green Viaducts, Whiteabbey, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.K. Wallace Bleach Green Viaduct, carries the mainline to Londonderry over the Larne Line, and was constructed between 1931 & 1933 by the LMS/NCC railway company. Usually referred to as “Bleach Green...

08 June 2014

1899 – Building over GWR Tunnel, Carrs Lane, Birmingham

Architect: Ralph Heaton Proposal for building over a Great Western Railway tunnel showing the underpinning structure. Published in The Building News, September 22, 1899. Demolished in 1988 after structural failure.

07 June 2014

1876 – Philbeach Gardens, Earls Court, London

In the year after 1867, Earls Court was transformed into a densely populated suburb with 1,200 houses and two churches. Building began in Philbeach Gardens in 1876.

06 June 2014

1899 – Cannon Street Hotel, Birmingham

Architect: Bateman & Bateman “The plans make this design explicit — Portland stone, with Berkshire bricks and green slates, being the materials, with a good deal of ironwork in the construction. Building operations...

06 June 2014

1898 – Mutual Sick Benefit & Old Age Society, Birmingham

Architect: J.W. Allen Finished in red brick and cream terra cotta. Also known as Coleridge Chambers. Grade II Listed. “The proposed building is in close proximity to the Victoria Law Courts, having a...

06 June 2014

1845 – St Patrick’s Church, Ballyragget, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Deane Butler The architect of Ballyragget Church, William Deane Butler, was responsible for quite a few churches in the Diocese of Ossory. He also designed the Cathedral and the Diocesan College....

06 June 2014

1929 – Sacred Heart Church, Arvagh, Co. Cavan

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne The foundation stone was laid on 2nd October 1927, and the official opening took place on 8th September 1929. The architect was Ralph H. Byrne, of W.H. Byrne &...