Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

16 July 2014

1884 – Design for High Altar

Architect: L.A. McDonnell Presumed never constructed, this sketch design by L.A. McDonnell was carried out while still in the employ of J.F. Fuller. “We this week publish a sketch design for a high...

15 July 2014

1869 – St. Joseph’s Church, Glenealy, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin This was the final commission of the Pugin & Ashlin partnership; finished by Ashlin alone, and built on land given by Mr Tighe of Rossanagh. The west front is...

15 July 2014

1885 – Orange Hall, Clifton St., Belfast

Architect: William Batt The Hall was opened on January 27th, 1885. To mark the bi-centenary of the “Glorious Revolution” of 1688 an equestrian bronze statue, by Henry Hems of Exeter,city coat of arms...

14 July 2014

2005 – Unbuilt Royal Dublin Hotel, Dublin

Architect: Ashlin Coleman Unbuilt proposal by Ashlin COleman to replace the Royal Dublin Hotel on O’Connell Street with a more modern and upmarket hotel. The hotel was demolished but this was never constructed.

10 July 2014

1970s – Proposed Redevelopment of The Rocks, Sydney

Proposed redevelopment of The Rocks area of Sydney in the 1970s. The Rocks is the oldest part of the city and contains many heritage buildings. From November 1971 until 1975, the New South...

10 July 2014

1900 – Estação da Luz, Sao Paolo, Brazil

Architect: Charles H. Driver Designed by the British architect, Charles Henry Driver, with all of its building materials also coming from England. Driver died just before its completion. Decades after its construction, the...

10 July 2014

1872 – Mercado Central, Santiago, Chile

Architect: Charles H. Driver & Edward Woods In the 1870s Driver designed this impressive market building which was constructed in Britain and shipped to Santiago, one of the major prefabricated buildings of the...

09 July 2014

1895 – Railway Station, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Mock Tudor station, constructed to replace the station of 1862 that was destroyed by fire, for Belfast & Northern Counties Railway Co. Still in use today by Northern Ireland...

09 July 2014

1896 – Railway Station, Carnalea, Co. Down

Architect: George P. Culverwell First opened by the B.C.D.R. (Belfast & County Down Railway) in 1877 with only an up platform, and a brake van as an office. The company built a station...