Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

08 January 2015

1878 – St. Vincent de Paul Orphanage, Glasnevin, Dublin

Architect: John Sterling Butler / John L. Robinson Opened in 1857, where the apartments in Dalcassian Downs now stand. This had accommodation for 150 boys and also provided school facilities. Known as St...

07 January 2015

1867 – United Presbyterian Church, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: William Fogerty Original design, the tower and spire of which was not completed, published in The Irish Builder, May 15 1868. “This church (the foundation-stone of which was laod on the 6th...

06 January 2015

1865 – Dufferin Drive, Clandeboye, Co. Down

Architect: Benjamin Ferrey Clandeboye Avenue was a private lane leading from the Clandeboye Estate to near the shore at Helen’s Bay. This section, close to the station at Helen’s Bay, is now a...

06 January 2015

1897 – Railway Station, Cultra, Co. Down

Cultra is part of the greater Belfast area and originally a stop on the Belfast, Hollywood and Bangor Railway. The BH&BR crossed the land of some wealthy landowners, whose terms included that Cultra...

06 January 2015

1760s – Royal Irish Academy, No.107 Grafton Street, Dublin

Early home of the Royal Irish Academy, which had some minor work by Richard Johnstom, and internal stuccowork by Charles Thorp. The Royal Irish Academy instituted for the advancement of science, polite literature,...

01 January 2015

1820 – Poolbeg Lighthouse, Dublin

Architect: George Halpin Originally constructed in the 1760s, it was re-designed and re-built in 1820 by George Halpin. The current lighthouse is painted red to indicate ‘port side’ for ships entering Dublin Bay...

01 January 2015

1831 – Straffan House, Straffan, Co. Kildare

Architect: Frederick Darley A 19th century mansion with the appearance of a French-Italianate château, with a seven-bay entrance front, the centre bay breaking forward, with a tripartite window above a single-storey, balustraded, Corinthian...

18 December 2014

1834 – Lord Cloncurry’s Tunnel, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Cole Proposal for a tunnel through Lord Cloncurry’s grounds, with pedestrian bridges at either end. In the end, only one footbridge was constructed, the towers of which stand today. At the...

15 December 2014

1820s – Kinahan & Sons Wine Vaults, Hamilton Row, Dublin

Built to the rear of No.11 Merrion Square, these massive vaults were described in 1866 as being “in three great divisions running parallel with each other, the centre one being 150 feet, and...