Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

12 June 2014

1870 – Working Men’s Institute, Queen Street, Belfast

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Constructed at the junction of Queen and Mill Streets, demolished in 1915. The arcaded shops were the home of Lennon’s Catholic Repository. The building contained a library and a...

12 June 2014

1901 – Unbuilt Design for Wesleyan Centenary Hall, London

Architect: Banister Fletcher & Sons This formed the subject of a limited competition for the new Wcsleyan Centenary Hall in Bishopsgate-street, and the instructions to architects contained the following ideas of the trustees...

12 June 2014

1887 – Presbyterian Church, Windsor, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie A fine Victorian Gothic church on a elevated site, that is still in use today by its congregation. A later school was erected in the 1880s and connected to...

11 June 2014

1885 – Holy Ghost Hospital, Waterford

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Founded in 1545, in the nineteenth century the hospital removed to the suburbs and in 1882 construction of the present hospital was started. A stone over the main entrance reads...

10 June 2014

1908 – Swimming Baths, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Kaye-Parry & Ross Originally opened in 1842 and rebuilt by the town council in 1908. In 1843, John Croswaithe built baths on the corner of Scotsman’s Bay. Originally known as the Royal...

10 June 2014

1933 – Bleach Green Viaducts, Whiteabbey, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.K. Wallace Bleach Green Viaduct, carries the mainline to Londonderry over the Larne Line, and was constructed between 1931 & 1933 by the LMS/NCC railway company. Usually referred to as “Bleach Green...

08 June 2014

1899 – Building over GWR Tunnel, Carrs Lane, Birmingham

Architect: Ralph Heaton Proposal for building over a Great Western Railway tunnel showing the underpinning structure. Published in The Building News, September 22, 1899. Demolished in 1988 after structural failure.

07 June 2014

1876 – Philbeach Gardens, Earls Court, London

In the year after 1867, Earls Court was transformed into a densely populated suburb with 1,200 houses and two churches. Building began in Philbeach Gardens in 1876.

06 June 2014

1899 – Cannon Street Hotel, Birmingham

Architect: Bateman & Bateman “The plans make this design explicit — Portland stone, with Berkshire bricks and green slates, being the materials, with a good deal of ironwork in the construction. Building operations...