Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

03 July 2014

1865 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Killenaule, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Designed by leading Irish church architect J.J. McCarthy, the foundation stone was laid in 1859, with the church largely complete and used for mass by 1865. Not built as illustrated,...

03 July 2014

1742 – Obelisk, Killiney Hill, Co. Dublin

The Obelisk bears the inscription: “Last year being hard with the poor, walks about these hills and this were erected by John Mapas, June 1742.” The structure consists of a square base with...

02 July 2014

1865 – Crown Life Assurance, Fleet Street, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Newenham Deane Venetian Gothic office building that was constructed to replace, his deceased partner, Benjamin Woodward’s Blackfriars office. The Blackfriars building influenced the design of the Crown Life building on...

30 June 2014

1979 – Unbuilt Design for Taoiseach’s Residence, Dublin

Architect: Zaha Hadid Design submitted to architectural competition for an Official residence of the Irish Prime Minister. It was intended to build a Taoiseach’s official residence and State guest house on the site...

30 June 2014

1979 – Design for Taoiseach’s Residence, Dublin

Architect: OMA Design submitted to architectural competition for an Official residence of the Irish Prime Minister. It was intended to build a Taoiseach’s official residence and State guest house on the site of...

26 June 2014

1603 – St. Augustine’s Fort, Galway

Work began on the Augustinian foundation in Galway in the early 1500s. Located outside the city walls, the lands were seized in 1546 following the dissolution of the monasteries. In 1601, Sir Josias...

25 June 2014

1960s – The Pearl Bar, Fleet St., Dublin

Possibly built to designs of architect and sculptor Gary Trimble. Also believed that Signa, an Irish design group led by Michael Scott may have had some input into the facade. The Pearl was...

24 June 2014

1700s – Library Square, Trinity College Dublin

From Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837 “The second quadrangle, called the Library-square, is 265 feet in length and 214 feet in breadth. Three sides of it are occupied by uniform ranges...

24 June 2014

1834 – Design for Museum & Campanile, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Thomas Rickman Unsuccessful entry for Museum, lecture rooms and Campanile by English architect Thomas Rickman. Rickman’s only executed Irish work was at Lough Fea house in Co. Monaghan. Photograph Copyright & Courtesy...