Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Portugal

02 October 2009

1918 – Sao Jorgo National Theatre, Porto

Architect: José Marques da Silva The first Sà£o Joà£o Theatre was destroyed by a fire in 1908. A rebuilding project started in 1911 under the direction of Porto architect José Marques da Silva....

02 October 2009

1928 – Cais do Sodré Railway Station, Lisbon

Architect: Pedro Botelho & Nuno Teotónio Pereira Cais do Sodré is the railway station in Lisbon, serving the westbound suburban route. The station is decorated with works by abstract artist António Dacosta. In...

02 October 2009

1930 – Mercado da Ribeira, Lisbon

Architect: The Mercado da Riberira is Lisbon’s most popular food and fish market. It exists since the end of the 19th century, although the current market hall dates from 1930. On the ground...

01 October 2009

1930s – Railway Station, Villa Real de St Antonio

Architect: Small town railway station with a lean modernist appearance. ila Real de Santo António station is the eastern terminus of the railway from Faro and Lagos.

02 October 2009

1948 – Museu de Arte Popular, Lisbon

Architect: Folk art museum, opened in 1948, has rooms with permanent collections and temporary exhibitions with a space, arranged on a provincial basis.

02 October 2009

1960 – Padrà£o dos Descobrimentos, Lisbon

Architect: Cottinelli Telmo The Padrao dos Descobrimentos was completed as a model for the Portuguese world exhibition and erected on the bank of the Tagus in its current form in 1960. The official...

02 October 2009

1964 – Calouste Gulbenkian Planetarium, Lisbon

Architect: Frederico George

02 October 2009

1992 – Belém Cultural Centre, Lisbon

Architects: Vittorio Gregotti & Manuel Salgado A new cultural center, to the west of the Praça do Império, which was opened in 1993, the Belém Cultural Centre consists of a conference center and...

01 October 2009

19th C. – Câmara Municipal, Faro, Portugal

Faro was recognized as a town by the kinf Afonso III in 1266 and it was by then that the first “town hall” was built. During the 19th century, it was extended into...