Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Scotland

02 September 2009

1367 – Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh, Scotland

The site of the castle was probably first occupied in the Iron Age, although the first documented record comes from the 6th Century. St. Margaret, the wife of Malcolm III, died in the...

02 September 2009

1591 – Canongate Tolbooth, Edinburgh

Once the heart of the Canongate area, the Tolbooth contained a council chamber and jail. The chamber was accessible via the external staircase o the first floor while the jail was beneath it....

02 September 2009

1633 – Tron Kirk, Edinburgh

Architect: John Mylne Midway between the Castle and Holyrood Palace on the Royal Mile, Tron Kirk has been much adapted over the centuries. Originally it was T-shaped in plan, but it was shortened...

02 September 2009

1688 – Canongate Kirk, Edinburgh

Architect: James Smith Unusual church designed for a displaced Presbyterian congregation when the Abbey Church of Holyrood was converted into a chapel for the Order of the Thistle. The rear elevations are harled...

02 September 2009

1690 – Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir William Bruce At the opposite end of the Royal Mile from the Castle, Holyrood Palace is built beside the earlier Holyrood Abbey where Kings of Scotland were crowned. The abbey, the...

02 September 2009

1771 – Dundas Mansion, St Andrew’s Square, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir William Chambers Built on a prominent site on St Andrew’s Square, this would have be the site for a church to mirror that built as St George’s Church on Charlotte Square....

02 September 2009

1772 – Buchan House, St Andrew’s Square, Edinburgh

One of the original houses (the home of the Earl of Buchan) on St Andrew Square and originally harled. The ground floor was adapted in 1840. The building was cleaned and pointed in...

02 September 2009

1784 – St Andrew’s & St George’s Church, Edinburgh

Architect: Major Andrew Frazer Originally designed without the fine steeple, the church was built as an eliptical building with fine portico. The steeple was added three years after completion.

26 January 2012

1802 – West Prison, Aberdeen, Scotland

Architect: Aberdeen’s Bridewell opened 1802 and was demolished around 1868. An impressive stone gateway to the Bridewell prison stood until 1883 when it was demolished.

Pages:1234567...25Next »