Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Scotland

15 October 2009

1880 – Proposed Municipal Offices, Glasgow

Architect: George Corson Corson’s entry to design a new public building for the city of Glasgow. The commission was won by William Young.

01 September 2009

1880 – The Trades House, Glasgow

Architect: J. Salmon & Son

01 January 2014

1880 – Design for New Municipal Buildings, Glasgow

Architect: Coe & Robinson Second Premiated design in architectural competition for new muncipal buildings, now Glasgow City Chambers. The competition was won by Paisley-born architect William Young, and the building opened in 1888.

06 May 2011

1880s – Sheriff Court, Edinburgh, Scotland

Demolished 1938 and eeplaced by the National Library of Scotland, which was constructed between 1938 and 1956

03 December 2009

1881 – Forfar Episcopal Church, Angus, Scotland

Architect: Robert Rowand Anderson “This church has been erected by the congregation at a cost of about £7,000. All the money- has been raised by voluntary subscription. The- walls are built of local...

18 June 2010

1881 – Glasgow Asylum for the Blind, Scotland

Architect: William Landless Published in The Architect June 24th 1882. The Blind Asylum was founded in 1804, with the first building on Castle Street erected in 1828 by public subscription. A competition was...

09 June 2009

1881 – New Convent and Church, Dumfries, Scotland

Architect: Pugin & Pugin “This building, now in course of erection, is being built for the nuns of the Perpetual Adoration, at the cost of the dowager Lady Herries. It is situated on...

15 September 2009

1881 – St. Margaret’s, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland

Architect: Robert Rowand Anderson “This house, of which we give a perspective and first-floor and ground-plans, has been erected from the designs of Mr. E. R. Anderson, A.R.S.A., of Edinburgh.” Published in The...

26 October 2009

1881 – Whyte Melville Memorial Fountain, St. Andrews, Scotland

Architect: Robert W. Edis Sculpture by Thomas Earp, medallions by J.E. Boehm 1880. Public fountain, memorial to Major George Whyte Melville (1821-78), soldier and novelist. Of Red Dumfriesshire ashlar with Dalbeattie granite. Circular...