Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Scotland

02 September 2009

1844 – Tolbooth St John’s, Edinburgh

Architects: J. Gillespie Graham / Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin A large Gothic church both in architectural style and for its dark brooding presence. A collaboration between local architect J Gillespie Graham and the...

02 September 2009

1846 – Scott Memorial, Edinburgh

Architect: George Kemp The Scott Monument was build between 1840-46 as a memorial to the writer Sir Walter Scott (1771 – 1832). Designed by architect George Kemp (1795-1844), who won a competition with...

02 September 2009

1847 – The Dome, Edinburgh

Architect: David Rhind Formerly a branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland, and now a bar, The Dome has a impressive sequence of interior spaces. A large hallway leads via a short passage...

02 September 2009

1852 – Bank of Scotland, St. Andrew Square, Edinburgh

Architect: David Bryce Formerly the British Linen Bank but now a branch of the Bank of Scotland, this sumptuous branch is at 38-39 St Andrew Square. The elaborate facade features an order or...

20 December 2012

1855 – Royal Faculty of Procurators’ Hall, Glasgow

Architect: Charles Wilson The Royal Faculty of Procurators is a body which was incorporated prior to 1668 and continues to serve the needs of the legal profession in Glasgow and West Central Scotland....

26 January 2012

1857 – Oldmill Reformatory School for Boys, Aberdeen, Scotland

Architect: James Matthews Oldmill was an Aberdeen reformatory set up in 1857 and occupied by about 150 boys. Closed in 1898. A reformatory was something like a school and a prison for boys....

03 October 2012

1858 – Chimney Pieces, Holmwood, Cathcart, Glasgow, Scotland

Architect: Alexander & George Thomson This unique Villa in attractive riverside grounds has been described as Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson’s finest domestic design. It was built in 1857-8 for James Couper. Many rooms are...

02 September 2009

1858 – Palm House – Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh

Architect: Robert Matheson A magnificent Victorian Palm House with wonderful masonry topped by a graceful ironwork roof, the Palm House reopened in 2002 after a lengthy restoration.

09 June 2009

1860 – Cockburn Street, Edinburgh

Architect: Peddie & Kinnear