Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Scotland

14 May 2012

1864 – Craig Dunain Hospital, Inverness, Scotland

Architect: James Matthews Craig Dunain Hospital was the only hospital for psychiatric illness in the Highlands, and formerly the Highland District Lunatic Asylum – Scotland’s third oldest district asylum. Closed in 1999, in...

16 April 2013

1865 – Burgh Hall & Academy, Dumbarton, Scotland

Architect: William Leiper & R.G. Melvin Standing today, different from as illustrated in 1868, the tower has no spire, and the large roof has dorners inserted. From The Building News, November 13 1868:...

16 April 2013

1868 – Design for new Townhall, Aberdeen

Architect: Peddie & Kinnear From The Building News, March 27, 1868: “WE give this week an illustration of the new townhall about to be erected in Aberdeen, at a cost, including the site,...

16 March 2013

1868 – Grecian Chambers, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow

Architect: A. & G. Thomson A three storey building, designed by Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson,, constructed as commercial premises with shop space on the ground floor front. The facade was restored in the late...

09 March 2010

1869 – Newtownaird House, Dumfriesshire

Architect: Peddie & Kinnear From The Architect and Contract Reporter, March 6 1869: Newtonaird House, recently erected from the designs of Messrs. Peddie & Kinnear, of Edinburgh, for P. Smith, Esq., is situated...

16 June 2009

1869 – United Presbyterian Church, Queens Park, Glasgow

Architect: A. & G. Thomson The United Presbyterian Church was designed by Alexander “Greek” Thomson, and destroyed in the Second World War when it was struck by a German incendiary bomb in March...

15 September 2010

1870 – Gallowhill House, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland

Architect: Salmon,Son & Ritchie Perspective view, ground Plan with key as published in The Building News, October 14th 1870. “ONE of our illustrations this week represents a mansion recently completed for the late...

28 September 2012

1871 – Free Middle Church, Greenock, Scotland

Architect: Salmon, Son & Richie James Smith, minister of the Middle parish, with a large congregation, “came out” in 1843. A new church, “the Brick Kirk” was opened in August of that year....

06 May 2014

1871 – Seaside Pier, Portobello, Edinburgh

Architect: Thomas Bouch A promenade pier, 1250 feet long, with, at the seaward end, a substantial pierhead surmounted by an imposing pavilion with restaurant, bar and bandstand. The new pier was the first...