Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Scotland

18 November 2009

1878 – Belhaven Church, Glasgow

Architect: Campbell Douglas & Sellars

10 October 2012

1878 – Design for new Post Office, George Sq., Glasgow, Scotland

Architect: Robert Matheson After sitting empty for many years, there are plans to develop as modern office accommodation. At one stage, it was propsed to convert the massive renaissance style building into an...

06 May 2010

1878 – Grocery & Provision Warehouse, Leith, Edinburgh

Architect: James Simpson / William Mercer Built for the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society over several years. After the initial construction of 1878, it was doubled in length by architect William Mercer of the...

09 June 2009

1878 – St.Mary’s Tower, Dunkeld, Scotland

Architect: John Carver The Property of The Right Hon.Lord John Manners. Perspective published in The Building News, December 6th 1878.

09 June 2009

1879 – City Of Glasgow Bank, Glasgow

Architect: Campbell Douglas & Sellars The City of Glasgow Bank is now largely known for its spectacular collapse in October 1878, ruining all but 254 of its 1,200 shareholders, whose liability was not...

09 June 2009

1879 – House, Kintail, Scotland

Architect: Ernest George & Peto House for J.T. Mackenzie and published in The Building News, July 4th 1879. “This illustration is of a house for J. T. Mackenzie, Esq., of Kintail, designed for...

09 June 2009

1879 – Medical School, Edinburgh University

Architect: Robert Rowand Anderson Front perspective view including plans as published in The Building News, July 27th 1879.

12 November 2009

1879 – Municipal Buildings, Greenock, Scotland

Architect: H.& D. Barclay In 1879 Charles Barry, Junior, President of the Royal Institute of British Architects, awarded the Barclays the commission for the new Municipal Buildings at Greenock. It was then by...

14 May 2012

1879 – Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, Scotland

Architect: David Bryce The new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, constructed between 1870 and 1879 provided an unprecedented 600 beds, arranged in eight three-storey pavilions with one large ward on each floor. At the...