Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Illinois

07 February 2011

1911 – Continental & Commercial National Bank Building, Chicago

Architect: D.H. Burnham & Co. Former headquarters of the Continental & Commercial National Bank. Now a hotel after an expensive conversion and restoration by Marriott.

18 September 2009

1911 – People’s Gas Building, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: D.H. Burnham & Company The design is indicative of its time. It employs the standard three-piece skyscraper formation, plus lots of classical embellishments like ornamental lions along the balustrade at the top....

18 September 2009

1916 – Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Sheply, Rutan and Coolidge

07 February 2011

1923 – London Guarantee Building, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Alfred S. Alschuler The London Guarantee Building, also known as 360 North Michigan Avenue, and is one of the four 1920s flanks of the Michigan Avenue Bridge (along with the Wrigley Building,...

18 September 2009

1924 – Lake Shore Center, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Jarvis Hunt

18 September 2009

1924 – Wrigley Building, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Graham, Anderson, Probst and White William Wrigley, Jr., the successful chewing gum manufacturer, in search of an impressive main office for his company, picked the present location of the Wrigley Building in...

18 September 2009

1925 – Chicago Tribune Tower, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Howells & Hood The Tribune Company’s 1922 competition to design the “world’s most beautiful office building” as its headquarters captured the interest of an international audience of architects, business leaders, and the...

18 September 2009

1927 – 35 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Giaver Dinkelberg Thielbar and Fugard Formerly known as Jewellers Building, Pure Oil Building and the North American Life Building, it was created for the city’s diamond merchants and had an unusual security...

21 September 2009

1929 – Hotel Intercontinental, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Walter W. Ahlschlager Was originally built in 1929 as the Medinah Athletic Club, a luxury men’s club for members of the Shrine organization. Unfortunately, in 1934 the club had been a victim...