Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Illinois

21 September 2009

1929 – Palmolive Building, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Holabird & Root Built for one of the world’s leading soap manufacturers, this office building (“a monument to cleanliness”) was the first commercial skyscraper built far from the Loop – at the...

21 September 2009

1930 – Merchandise Mart, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Graham, Anderson, Probst and White When opened in 1930, the Merchandise Mart or the Mart, was the largest building in the world with 4,000,000 square feet (372,000 m2) of floor space. Previously...

17 September 2009

1940s – Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago

In 1938, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe began his 20-year tenure as director of IIT’s School of Architecture (1938-1959). The university was on the verge of building a brand new campus, to be...

17 September 2009

1946 – Wishnick Hall / Chemistry Building, IIT, Chicago

Architect: Mies van der Rohe Originally used as the Chemistry Building, Wishnick Hall is currently undergoing redevelopment as an advanced IT centre. This redevelopment will allow important upgrading of services and the restoration...

21 September 2009

1951 – 860-880 Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Mies van der Rohe Deceptively simple in appearance, these twin apartment towers set the standard by which all subsequent glass-and-steel highrises are judged. Few, if any, have come even close to these...

17 September 2009

1951 – Farnsworth House, Plano, Illinois

Architect: Mies van der Rohe Designed and built from 1946 to 1951, Farnsworth House is considered an icon of international style architecture in America. The steel and glass house was commissioned by Dr....

17 September 2009

1952 – Chapel of Saint Savior / Robert F. Carr Chapel, IIT, Chicago

Architect: Mies van der Rohe The chapel is Mies’s only building designed for religious services. Unique among the single-story pavilions on campus, the chapel has load-bearing brick walls, not a steel frame.

21 September 2009

1956 – 900-910 Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Mies van der Rohe A further development of his work at 860-880 Lake Shore Drive (immediately next door), 900-910 was built as two blocks of different sizes with a low pavilion building...

17 September 2009

1956 – Crown Hall, IIT, Chicago

Architect: Mies van der Rohe Widely regarded as one of the most architecturally significant buildings of the 20th Century, Crown Hall was completed in 1956 during Mies van der Rohe’s tenure as director...