Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of New York

11 March 2012

1879 – St. Vincent Ferrer Church, New York

Architect: Demolished in 1914 so as to begin construction of a new one designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, who had recently struck out on his own from Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson.

23 June 2009

1880 – Chestnut Hill Station, New York & Greenwood Lake Railway

Architect: Maurice B. Adams

05 November 2010

1880 – Methodist Episcopal Church, Lodi, New York

Architect: Warren H. Hayes Lodi Methodist Church was constructed in 1880 and it consists of a main block with four steeply pitched gables, a corner bell tower, and a large single story rear...

12 February 2013

1880 – Post Office, New York

Architect: Alfred B. Mullett Designed by architect Alfred B. Mullett for a triangular site across City Hall Park from New York City Hall. Built after an unsuccessful architectural competition where fifty-two designs were...

20 April 2013

1882 – The Washington Building, New York

Architect: Edward H. Kendall Standing at 1 Broadway at Battery Place, the Washington Building was completely remodeled with a new facade in 1921. The rooftop cupola was removed and the building was remodeled...

21 September 2009

1883 – Brooklyn Bridge, New York

Architect: John Augustus Roebling The Brooklyn Bridge (originally the New York and Brooklyn Bridge) is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the United States, and stretches 5,989 feet over the East River...

07 May 2010

1883 – City Hall, Albany, New York

Architect: H.H. Richardson Designed by famed architect Henry Hobson Richardson, the construction of City Hall was completed in 1883. Albany City Hall has been acclaimed by critics as one of the most beautiful...

30 April 2010

1883 – Old Metropolitan Opera House, New York

Architect: J. Cleaveland Cady / Carrere & Hastings The Old Metropolitan Opera House was built in 1883 near Times Square, and was the first home of the Metropolitan Opera Company. Nicknamed “The Yellow...

05 January 2011

1883 – Produce Exchange, New York

Architect: George B. Post Designed in a modified neo-Renaissance mode that clad an interior iron skeletal framing with terracotta panels, reminiscent of some monstrous Italian palazzo. Demolished in 1957.