1800s Glasshouse in Cavan

Home Forums Ireland 1800s Glasshouse in Cavan

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Papergirl85
      Participant

Hi, I’m trying to trace the architect/builder of a glass house that was constructed in Cabra Estate in what is now Kingscourt, Co. Cavan (at that time it may have been in Co. Meath) during the 1800s, there is no definite date but we believe it was probably during the middle of the century. The structure was located in the kitchen garden for the Pratt estate – it is currently in the grounds of Dun a Ri forest park, the Pratt family having moved to Cabra Castle. The structure was destroyed at some point during the early 1900s, all that remains are some twisted irons and the brick foundations. We can’t find any marks that might indicate who or where it was designed/made. I would be very grateful if anyone could shed light on possible architects or advice on where I might start looking for information. The records of the Pratt family were destroyed by a fire and there are no direct descendants. We intend to rebuild the glass house as part of a garden restoration project – obviously if it was designed by a well known architect grants etc will be available for this part of the project. The foundation appears to have been for a glass house with two wings and a dome at the centre. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help!

admin
      Keymaster
      Papergirl85
      Participant

Yes that’s it. The link below has some history of the ownership of the estate. http://www.cabracastle.com/history

It is thought that the kitchen garden (including glass house) were still used to supply the estate after the family moved to the present day Cabra Cottage.

admin
      Keymaster

Mark Bence-Jones only gives this estate a passing mention in the main Cabra Castle record. No mention of a glasshouse.

Papergirl85
      Participant

Would you have any ideas on any place I might find records of architects/contractors who might have been active/known for glasshouse building during the 1800s?

admin
      Keymaster

Have you been to the Irish Architectural Archive on Merrion Square

Home

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News