Balconies On Wooden Cantilevered Joists ?

Home Forums World Architecture Balconies On Wooden Cantilevered Joists ?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

teak
    Participant

Even in Ireland, even with purely ornamental balconies for flower pots and such-like, you’d see steel joists supporting them.

And I don’t think this is because of our rainy weather either.

It’s just because the strength requirements and the anticipated design life of this structural component.

Sure, steel has got a lot dearer in the last 10-15 years with a surge in demand from India and China.
    But it’s not so dear that building codes should allow intrinsically unsuitable materials as a substitute for it in critical applications.

admin
    Keymaster

In North America, almost everything residential that size would be made of lumber or laminated i-beams. The remainder of the building may be wood framed with concrete stairwell and lift shafts, so i wouldn’t find it surprising at all.

millennium
    Participant

Hard to believe that buildings in this area (Oakland, California) are required by code to withstand earthquakes.

• Author

teak
    Participant

Even in Ireland, even with purely ornamental balconies for flower pots and such-like, you’d see steel joists supporting them.

And I don’t think this is because of our rainy weather either.

It’s just because the strength requirements and the anticipated design life of this structural component.

Sure, steel has got a lot dearer in the last 10-15 years with a surge in demand from India and China.
    But it’s not so dear that building codes should allow intrinsically unsuitable materials as a substitute for it in critical applications.

admin
    Keymaster

In North America, almost everything residential that size would be made of lumber or laminated i-beams. The remainder of the building may be wood framed with concrete stairwell and lift shafts, so i wouldn’t find it surprising at all.

millennium
    Participant

Hard to believe that buildings in this area (Oakland, California) are required by code to withstand earthquakes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News