Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
06 January 2015

1897 – Railway Station, Cultra, Co. Down

Cultra is part of the greater Belfast area and originally a stop on the Belfast, Hollywood and Bangor Railway. The BH&BR crossed the land of some wealthy landowners, whose terms included that Cultra...

06 January 2015

1760s – Royal Irish Academy, No.107 Grafton Street, Dublin

Early home of the Royal Irish Academy, which had some minor work by Richard Johnstom, and internal stuccowork by Charles Thorp. The Royal Irish Academy instituted for the advancement of science, polite literature,...

03 January 2015

1840 – Killiney Castle, Killiney, Co. Dublin

Architect: Sandham Symes This house has been alternatively known as Mount Malpas, Roxborough and Loftus Hill. The first house on the site was built about 1740 for Col. John Mapas or Malpas. The...

01 January 2015

1820 – Poolbeg Lighthouse, Dublin

Architect: George Halpin Originally constructed in the 1760s, it was re-designed and re-built in 1820 by George Halpin. The current lighthouse is painted red to indicate ‘port side’ for ships entering Dublin Bay...

01 January 2015

1831 – Straffan House, Straffan, Co. Kildare

Architect: Frederick Darley A 19th century mansion with the appearance of a French-Italianate château, with a seven-bay entrance front, the centre bay breaking forward, with a tripartite window above a single-storey, balustraded, Corinthian...

18 December 2014

1834 – Lord Cloncurry’s Tunnel, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Cole Proposal for a tunnel through Lord Cloncurry’s grounds, with pedestrian bridges at either end. In the end, only one footbridge was constructed, the towers of which stand today. At the...

16 December 2014

5 Irish projects nominated for Mies van der Rohe Award 2015

The European Commission and the Fundació Mies van der Rohe announced today the list of 420 projects competing for the European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture – Mies van der Rohe Award 2015....

15 December 2014

1820s – Kinahan & Sons Wine Vaults, Hamilton Row, Dublin

Built to the rear of No.11 Merrion Square, these massive vaults were described in 1866 as being “in three great divisions running parallel with each other, the centre one being 150 feet, and...

11 December 2014

1800 – Carlisle Building, Burgh Quay, Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Constructed around 1800. Alterations to street frontage for Kinahan & Co., by William Caldbeck in 1860. In later years, the building had signage espousing various products. Pulled down in the...