Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
03 February 2015

1741 – Dromoland Belvedere, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Co. Clare

Architect: John Aheron The Belvedere on Tower Hill was designed by the architect John Aheron and was built in the early eighteenth century by Sir Edward O’Brien for viewing horse-racing. The building has...

02 February 2015

Old Baal’s Bridge, Limerick

Medieval bridge with housing, demolished in the 1820s. During the demolition a significant archaeological object was found in the foundations of the old bridge – a brass Square of Freemasonry symbolism was found...

02 February 2015

1865 – High Altar of St Alphonsus Liguori, Limerick

Architect: George Goldie High altar and reredos, designed by George Goldie, in church previously constructed to the designs of Philip Hardwick.

02 February 2015

1788 – Unbuilt Design for Theatre, Limerick

Architect: James Lewis In the second volume of his Original Designs in Architecture, published in 1797, James Lewis included several designs for buildings in Ireland including this proposed theatre, ‘to be erected on...

31 January 2015

1905 – Kilteragh, Foxrock, Co. Dublin

Architect: W.D. Caroe Designed for Sir Horace Plunkett, by England-based William D. Caroe, in an Arts and Crafts style. Plunkett was involved in the agricultural co-operative Movement, a MP for South Co. Dublin,...

30 January 2015

Newenham Mulligan & Grimshaw Architects chosen to design RDS Arena

A consortium of architect firms, Dublin-based Newenham Mulligan Architects and London-based Grimshaw Architects, has won the international design competition for the multimillion-euro redevelopment of the RDS Arena. The RDS, with their partners Leinster...

29 January 2015

1834 – Prison, Castlebar, Co. Mayo

Architect: Frederick Darley The former Castlebar prison was constructed between 1829 and 1834 at a cost of £23,000. According to Lewis, the gaol had 140 cells containing over 180 prisoners. The prisoners were...

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Station, Newport, Co. Mayo

The first station on the Westport to Achill Sound extension was Newport which opened in February 1894, on completion of a nearby tunnel at the end of Newport Station. It was closed in...

29 January 2015

1892 – Railway Tunnel, Newport, Co. Mayo

The Westport railway line was extended to Achill Sound in the 1890s. and this was one of the so-called ‘Balfour Lines’, called after Arthur J. Balfour, Chief Secretary for Ireland during the years...