Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
20 March 2014

1920 – Capitol Theatre, Princes Street, Dublin

Architect: T.F. McNamara The Capitol Theatre, located just off O’Connell Street, Dublin, began life on 10 August 1920 as the La Scala Theatre and Opera House. Constructed on the former site of Freeman’s...

20 March 2014

1878 – Design proposals for Great Western Square, Dublin

Architects: James H. Bridgford & G.P. Beater, John L. Robinson Design proposals for artisan dwellings for the Midland Great Western Railway Company adjacent to Broadstone Station in Dublin. About eighty designs were submitted...

20 March 2014

1863 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The church’s current external and internal appearance owes much to the extensive works undertaken by Welland & Gillespie for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It is typical of the early 19th...

19 March 2014

1876 – Presbyterian Church, Donemana, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William McElwee Still in use today, this is a fine Presbyterian chirch finished in local limestone on a slightly elevated site above streetlevel. “Donemana, where this church is being built , is...

19 March 2014

1876 – St. Mary’s Church, Broughderg, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William McElwee Closed in the 1980s and replaced by a modern church nearby. Now semi-derelict. “This church us being built in a mountain district of the extensive parish of Lower Badmey, county...

19 March 2014

1910 – Tassagh Viaduct, Keady, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker 11-arched viaduct in masonry and concrete for the Castleblayney, Keady & Armagh Railway Co., constructed in 1910 to provide a link between Armagh and the County Monaghan town of...

19 March 2014

1906 – Suir Railway Bridge, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker Dismantled railway bridge crossing the Suir outside Waterford, between counties Waterford and Kilkenny. Built in 1906 on the Mallow/Waterford line with 9 spans, for a total 1205 ft in...

18 March 2014

1906 – Barrow Railway Bridge, Co. Wexford

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker Built across the border of counties Wexford and Kilkenny between 1902 and 1906 to designs by Benjamin Baker, it is the longest railway bridge in Ireland at 2,131 feet...

18 March 2014

1879 – Great Northern Railway Offices, Amiens Street, Dublin

Architect: John Lanyon Designed as offices, constructed in brick and sandstone, and with an Italianate tower which ties in with the towers of the earlier main station building by William Deane Butler. The...