Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
18 March 2014

1881 – Gate Lodge, Dalguise, Monkstown, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Mitchell Design exhibited at the RHA Exhibition of 1881 and published in The Irish Builder, November 1 1881.

17 March 2014

1889 – Temperance Institute, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie Alcohol abuse was a big problem in Lisburn at the end of the 19th century. In response some local people formed the Total Abstinence Society in 1886, and the...

14 March 2014

1777 – Brabazon Park House, Swinford, Co. Mayo

Swinford was established in the late 1700s by the Brabazon family. Originally from Leicestershire in England and had been living on their estate near Ballinasloe in County Galway until they were dispossessed during...

14 March 2014

1845 – Glendinning Monument, Westport, Co. Mayo

Architect: Charles William Papworth Erected as a testimonial to George Glendenning JP (1770-1843), Agent of the Bank of Ireland (appointed 1826). Substantially damaged during “The Troubles” (1919-23) by Free State troops billeted in...

14 March 2014

1780s – The Abbey, Celbridge, Co. Kildare

Celbridge Abbey was built by Bartholomew Van Homrigh, Lord Mayor of Dublin, in 1697. It was his daughter, Esther Van Homrigh who has been immortalised as ‘Vanessa’ by Jonathan Swift. Swift came regularly...

14 March 2014

1845 – Wells House, Gorey, Co. Wexford

Architect: Daniel Robertson Tudor Gothic remodelling of house, and landscape scheme, in progress during the period 1835-45 for the Doyne family. The earlier house, originally built in the late 1600s, had been used...

14 March 2014

1883 – Design for National Museum, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew One of the entries to design a new National Museum and Library around Leinster House, then belonging to the Royal Dublin Society. The results of the original architecture competition...

13 March 2014

1860 – Penrose Quay Railway Station, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The original railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway. Approached from Penrose’s Quay, and superceded by a new adjacent station in 1893 approached from Glenmire Road. The...

13 March 2014

1868 – Prince Albert Statue, Leinster House, Dublin

Architect: John Henry Foley Statue commemorating the Prince Consort, Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria, on the site of the Irish Exhibition of 1853. Albert was an enthusiastic backer of these exhibitions to...