Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
21 January 2015

1714 – Palace Anne, Co. Cork

Named after Anne LePoer, wife of Arthur Bernard, who built the house in 1714. Lewis describes it as “a stately mansion, beautifully situated”. The house became dilapidated after the sale by the Bernards...

21 January 2015

1800 – Castle Bernard, Bandon, Co. Cork

In 1788 Francis Bernard, the 1st Earl of Bandon demolished much of the old O’Mahony castle that previously stood on this site, and built a castellated mansion. It was of two storeys with...

20 January 2015

1860s – No.39 Grafton Street, Dublin

Fine shopfront, now demolished. Possibly designed by William G. Murray who designed the building or a later replacement shop front.

20 January 2015

1821 – Meath Hospital, Long Lane, Dublin

Replacing an earlier hospital building on The Coombe, The Meath was built on the south side of Long Lane in 1821. A donation of £6000 from Thomas Pleasants, allowed the hospital to be...

19 January 2015

1865 – Railway Station, Helen’s Bay, Co. Down

Architect: Benjamin Ferrey Opened in 1865 and built at the expense of the Marquis of Dufferin and Ave, whose estate it was situated in. Constructed for the Belfast & Co. Down Railway Company,...

19 January 2015

1891 – Railway Station, Warrenpoint, Co. Down

Architect: William H. Mills Warrenpoint was heavily promoted by the Great Northern Railway as an excursion destination. They were quite successful in doing this and the town benefited from daytrippers and holidaymakers. The...

15 January 2015

13th C. – Drumlane Priory, Co. Cavan

The remains of a 13th century church and round tower. St Mary’s Priory was established here on the northern banks of Garfiney Lough in the 12th century for Augustinian Canons. The church, which...

15 January 2015

1884 – Caretaker’s Cottage, Peoples Park, Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Designed for Lord Brabazon, Earl of Meath whose estates are nearby, and donated to the town. Published in The Builder. Febraury 28 1884.

14 January 2015

1740 – Mount Panther, Clough, Co. Down

Originally built about 1740, the central block has a Diocletian window in the top floor, a Palladian window on the first floor, and a tripartite doorcase below. In 1770 it was described in...