Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
06 May 2014

1861 – St. Mary’s Institute for Catholic Blind Females, Harold’s Cross, Dublin

Architect: Charles Geoghegan Proposal for an asylum for the blind at Harold’s Cross. Described by the architect, Charles Geoghegan as “The entire range of new buildings presents a frontage to the south of...

06 May 2014

1881 – Donore Presbyterian Church, South Circular Road, Dublin

Architect: William Stirling Presbyterian church and manse constructed for a congregation of around 500. Originally constructed for a congregation of Presbyterians who were based next to the Guinness Brewery and accepted a buy-out...

06 May 2014

1898 – Technical School, Bootle, Lancashire

Architect: Best & Callon “This building is to be erected on a site adjoining the public baths. It is to be in red brick, with terracotta dressings, the roof covered with Westmoreland slates....

06 May 2014

1899 – Selected Design for Royal Institution, Liverpool

Architect: Briggs & Wolstenholme The Liverpool Royal Institution was a learned society set up in 1814 for “the Promotion of Literature, Science and the Arts”. After the construction of the William Brown Library...

06 May 2014

1884 – Railway Station, Strabane, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William H. Mills The railway line to Strabane from Omagh originally opened in 1847 and was run by the Irish North Western Railway. After the takeover by the Great Northern Railway in...

06 May 2014

1877 – Railway Station, Whitehead, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Lanyon / Berkeley Deane Wise Originally designed by John Lanyon with later work by Berkeley Deane Wise who was the chief architect of the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway company and...

06 May 2014

1962 – Unbuilt Proposal for St. James, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir Basil Spence Sir Basil Spence’s concept for the redevelopment of the St James area in 1962. The proposal involved the total obliteration of Leith Street and the construction of a subterranean...

06 May 2014

1871 – Seaside Pier, Portobello, Edinburgh

Architect: Thomas Bouch A promenade pier, 1250 feet long, with, at the seaward end, a substantial pierhead surmounted by an imposing pavilion with restaurant, bar and bandstand. The new pier was the first...

06 May 2014

1960 – Goldberg’s Department Store, Tollcross, Edinburgh

Architect: J. & F. Johnston & Partners Goldberg’s Department Store opened in 1960 at High Riggs in Tollcross and wasintended to be the focal point in a new road system for Tollcros –...