Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
13 February 2015

1827 – Meetinghouse, Fisherwick Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Duff Opened 20 Sep 1827. Demolished to make way for Presbyterian Assembly building. Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Erected in the year 1827-28, is built...

13 February 2015

1828 – Presbyterian Meetinghouse, May Street, Belfast

Architect: William Smith Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Is raised on framed foundations. The front is of modern or Scammozzian Ionic, having two columns and four pilasters,...

13 February 2015

1882 – Tulira Castle, Co, Galway

Architect: G.C. Ashlin The Castle comprises three main buildings, a medieval tower, courtyard buildings and the Victorian Castle. The original structure, a medieval tower house, rests on 12th century foundations. A castellated house...

13 February 2015

1970 – Northside Shopping Centre, Coolock, Dublin

Architect: Stephenson Gibney & Associates Open-air shopping centre originally constructed in 1970 by Stephenson Gibney & Associates and much extended since. Renovations in the 1980s by Gilroy MacMahon, and further additions in 2008...

12 February 2015

1785 – Castleton House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Also known as Jennymount, the residence of the Thomson family, prominent local merchants and bankers. Demolished to make way for the Mountcollyer and Crosscollyer streets in the 1890s.

12 February 2015

1829 – Belfast Savings’ Bank, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Smith Bank constructed around 1829 for the Belfast Savings Bank Co. Demolished 1941.

11 February 2015

Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara win 2015 Jane Drew Prize

The 2015 Jane Drew Prize has been awarded to Irish architects Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara, who set up Grafton Architects in 1978, for their ‘massive influence’ on the architectural profession. The award,...

11 February 2015

1796 – Graving Docks, Grand Canal Docks, Dublin

The Grand Canal Dock opened in 1796 to much celebration. Originally, there were three graving docks, primarily used for ship repair. The largest was 180ft x 65ft, the second 150ft and the third...

11 February 2015

1911 – Thompson Graving Dock, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Redfern Kelly The dock was constructed by the Belfast Harbour Commissioners and opened in 1911. It was designed to accommodate the new White Star liners Olympic and Titanic. Massive in scale,...