Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
16 July 2009

1872 – New Vestry Hall, Kensington, London

Architect: J.M. Brydon Unrealised design for a new Vestry Hall for the Borough of Kensington.

16 July 2009

1865 – St. Pauls Church, Bethnal Green, London

Architect: B. Bigginton Bombed during the Blitz of the Second World War, St. Paul’s parish was united to St. Matthew’sin 1951. The church was demolished.

16 July 2009

1866 – Kings College Hospital, London

Architect: Thomas Bellamy King’s was originally opened in 1840 in the disused St Clements Dane workhouse in Portugal Street close to Lincoln’s Inn Fields. It was used as a training facility where medical...

16 July 2009

1860 – The Arcades at The Horticultural Gardens, South Kensington, London

Architect: Sydney Smirke In 1861 the Royal Horticultural Society developed a new garden at South Kensington on land leased from the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851. It was closed in 1882....

16 July 2009

1862 – New Library, Middle Temple, London

Architect: H.R. Abraham Destroyed during air raids during the Second World War. From The Building News, January 3, 1862: Three or four months ago the Prince of Wales publicly opened the new JL...

16 July 2009

1860 – St. Giles National Schools, Bloomsbury, London

Architect: Edward Middleton Barry Sited at the corner of Endell Street and Shaftesbury Avenue, the National Schools were built to cater for 1,500 children. The facilities included a soup kitchen, and an industrial...

16 July 2009

1860 – Warehouses in Aldermanbury, London

Architect: Edmund Woodthorpe “A noble example of warehouse architecture has been erected in Aldermanbury with a considerable degree of ornate splendour externally. It is Italian in style and its constructive arrangements are rxcellent....

16 July 2009

1861 – St. Stephens Church, South Lambeth, London

Architect: John Bennett Consecrated in 1861, the church could seat 1,200 people. By the 1960s the congregation numbers had collapsed and the decision was taken to demolish the church. It was totally removed...

16 July 2009

1860 – Central Hall, Clerkenwell Sessions House, London

Architect: F.H. Pownell The existing building originally erected between 1779 and 1782, as the new Courthouse for the Middlesex Quarter Sessions, at a cost of £13,000. For the next 120 years it was...