Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
16 July 2009

1873 – New Offices, Paul’s Wharf, Upper Thames Street, London

Architect: Robert W. Edis From The Building News, October 17, 1873: “These offices, of which we published an illustration in our last week’s number, have lately been erected in connection with the large...

16 July 2009

1873 – Design for Church of St. Patrick, Kenway Road, Kensington, London

Architect: Henry Conybeare The designer Henry Conybeare was not a prolific architect; but an engineer. He had begun his career in India, where in the early 1850s he designed and laid out waterworks...

16 July 2009

1873 – School, Blundell Street, Islington, London

Architect: T. Roger

16 July 2009

1872 – New Vestry Hall, Kensington, London

Architect: J.M. Brydon Unrealised design for a new Vestry Hall for the Borough of Kensington.

16 July 2009

1865 – St. Pauls Church, Bethnal Green, London

Architect: B. Bigginton Bombed during the Blitz of the Second World War, St. Paul’s parish was united to St. Matthew’sin 1951. The church was demolished.

16 July 2009

1866 – Kings College Hospital, London

Architect: Thomas Bellamy King’s was originally opened in 1840 in the disused St Clements Dane workhouse in Portugal Street close to Lincoln’s Inn Fields. It was used as a training facility where medical...

16 July 2009

1860 – The Arcades at The Horticultural Gardens, South Kensington, London

Architect: Sydney Smirke In 1861 the Royal Horticultural Society developed a new garden at South Kensington on land leased from the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851. It was closed in 1882....

16 July 2009

1862 – New Library, Middle Temple, London

Architect: H.R. Abraham Destroyed during air raids during the Second World War. From The Building News, January 3, 1862: Three or four months ago the Prince of Wales publicly opened the new JL...

16 July 2009

1860 – St. Giles National Schools, Bloomsbury, London

Architect: Edward Middleton Barry Sited at the corner of Endell Street and Shaftesbury Avenue, the National Schools were built to cater for 1,500 children. The facilities included a soup kitchen, and an industrial...