1870s – Benn Hospital, Clifton Street, Belfast
On the corner of Glenravel and Clifton Streets in Belfast, and constructed as a Eye, Ear, and Throat hospital, but known after its benefactors George and Edward Benn.
1957 – McLay Memorial Hall, Henry Place, Belfast
Described in the News Letter on May 2, 1957: “A new £14,000 church hall for the congregation of Clifton Street United Presbyterian Church,
1817 – Belfast Royal Hospital, Frederick Street, Belfast
The Belfast Fever Hospital and General Dispensary, was originally located in Factory Row, before moving to West Street in 1799,
1934 – Design for Goorwitch’s, Castle Place, Belfast
In 1930s Belfast, Goorwitch’s was one of the leading fashion outlets on Castle Place. Such was the success of the company that soon the business had shops on Royal Avenue and in many provincial towns throughout Northern Ireland.
1916 – Lyceum Cinema, Belfast, Co. Antrim
Opened on 11 December 1916, and designed to seat 1,200 customers, the Lyceum Cinema closed on 29th April 1966,
1956 – Metro Cinema, Dundonald, Belfast
Built at a cost of £50,000, it was the first post-war cinema in Belfast with a balcony. It was an ill-timed venture.
1935 – Imperial House, Donegall Square, Belfast, Co. Antrim
A subtle exercise in a stripped back Classical style with hints of Art Deco and Georgian glazing.
1926 – Osborne Buildings, 374-382 Lisburn Rd., Belfast, Co. Antrim
Gabled, half-timbered-effect block of shops & houses, designed by Charles Macalister for a property developer. Macalister was the son of Alexander Macalister but chiefly involved in housing.
1955 – Former Stella Cinema, Mount Merrion, Dublin
A massive suburban cinema with 1000 seats when it opened in 1955. Closed in 1976 and used as a furniture store for forty-odd years before closing.
1917 – Grand Central Cinema, O’Connell Street, Dublin
Constructed as a cinema after the destruction of the area in the 1916 Easter Rising.