Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1816

02 December 2013

1816 – Corn Exchange Building, Burgh Quay, Dublin

Architect: George Halpin The Corn Exchange Building designed by George Halpin in 1815 was approved by the Wide Streets Commissioners in 1816 with work commencing soon afterwards. Its granite facade still remains on...

09 July 2013

1816 – Church of The Assumption, Callan, Co. Kilkenny

By an unknown architect, the catholic church in Callan dated from around 1816. A stern classical exercise, it has fine columns on the west front with a rather unusual tower and spire. The...

28 August 2012

1816 – Richmond General Penitentiary, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Designed as an alternative to transportation, the Richmond General Penitentiary was part of an experiment into a penitentiary system which also involved Millbank Penitentiary, London. They were the first prisons...

09 June 2010

1816 – No.8 Burgh Quay, Dublin

One of the original shopfronts built on the quays by the Wide Streets Commisioners. There are a few similar examples on Burgh Quay flanking the former Corn Exchange building. Also visible on Eden...

20 January 2010

1816 – O’Donovan Rossa Bridge, Dublin

Architect: George Knowles & James Savage Built in 1813 and opened in 1816, this was originally known as Richmond Bridge after the Viceroy – it was later renamed after Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa (1831-1915)...

20 January 2010

1816 – Ha’penny Bridge, Dublin

Accepted as the symbol of Dublin, the Ha’penny Bridge (offically Wellington Bridge after the ‘Iron Duke’) was opened in 1816. Cast at Coalbrookdale in Shropshire in England, the bridge acquired its unofficial moniker...

07 January 2010

1816 – St John’s Home, Drogheda, Co. Louth

St John’s Home is made of two ranges of buildings. Each building contains two houses of three bays and two storeys. The buildings are linked by a screen wall. The gables of the...