Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1821

01 October 2012

1821 – Memorial of Kings Visit to Ireland, Dun Laoghaire

To commemorate the visit of King George IV to Ireland, the first occasion a British monarch had visited Ireland since the reign of Richard II. “The small truncated pyramidal Column at Kingstown which...

15 April 2012

1821 – Royal Triumphal Arch, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: Sir Richard Morrison A temporary triumphal arch created to welcome King George IV into Dublin. Constructed in thirty hours at the top of the what was then known as Sackville Street.

13 January 2012

1821 – St Nicholas’ Pro-Cathedral, Galway

Architect: James Cusack Construction started in 1816 with the church finished and consecrated by 1821.

14 December 2011

1821 – Theatre Royal, Hawkins St., Dublin

Architect: Samuel Beazley The first of three Theatre Royals on this site. In 1820, theatre impresario Henry Harris bought a site in Hawkins Street and built the 2,000–seater Albany New Theatre on it...

25 April 2011

1821 – Merchant’s Hall, Wellington Quay, Dublin

Architect: Frederick Darley Originally built as a Guild hall but after the 1841 Municipal Reform Act which saw members of Dublin Corporation directly elected rather than through the influence of the Guilds, the...

16 February 2010

1821 – St Stephen’s Church of Ireland, Mount Street, Dublin

Architect: John Bowden Centred in the middle of Mount Street Crescent, St Stephens’ is better known to Dubliners as the Peppercanister due its distinctive spire. Started in 1821 and designed by John Bowden,...

16 February 2010

1821 – Houses, Foster Place, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Two fine houses with fine cut stone ground floor levels, in this leafy cul-de-sac off Dame Street. In use as offices. Designed for Francis Johnston for the Bank of Ireland.

28 January 2010

1821 – King George IV Monument, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

The town was officially renamed Kingstown in 1821 in honour of a visit by the British King George IV, but reverted to its ancient Irish name by resolution of the town council in...

06 January 2010

1821 – Former Church of Ireland, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Donated by the Church of Ireland to Carlingford this restored medieval church (the former Church of the Holy Trinity) is also known as the Holy Trinity Heritage Centre. The tower is an earlier...