Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr


30 September 2015

1824 – Royal Arcade and Grand Promenade, College Green, Dublin

Destroyed by fire in 1838. Described as “a beautiful structure two storeys high. The under one being the Arcade contained 30 shops filled with all sorts of merchandize, to regulate which strict bye...

20 November 2013

1824 – St. James Church, King St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Francis Greenway The church came about through a series of unusual events. In 1819 convict and civil architect Francis Greenway was asked to design a courthouse for Governor Lachlan Macquarie. At that...

16 April 2013

1824 – St. Philip and St. James Church, Booterstown, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Bowden & J. Rawson Carroll Constructed on a site donated by the Earl of Pembroke and funded a grant by the Board of First Fruits, a further donation of money by...

06 February 2013

1824 – Old Town Chapel, Park Street, Monaghan

Replaced by William Hague’s church, which was constructed alongside, this simple church with gothic windows to the street was demolished in teh early 20th century.

28 August 2012

1824 – St. Brendan’s Church, Birr, Co. Offaly

Architect: Bernard Mullins A curious design for a Roman Catholic church, looking more like a design by the Board of First Fruits for the Church of Ireland. The 2nd Earl of Rosse donated...

09 January 2012

1824 – Royal Hibernian Academy, Lower Abbey St., Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Francis Johnston, in his retirement, funded and designed this building for the Royal Hibernian Academy. The building had keystones on the ground floor by John Smyth representing Palladio, Michaelangelo and...

05 January 2012

1824 – Bank of the United States, 15 Wall Street, New York

Architect: M.E. Thompson Constructed as the New York branch for the former Bank of the United States, and was designed by Martin Euclid Thompson, a noted artist and architect of the period. The...

29 June 2010

1824 – The Academy, Pearse Street, Dublin

Originally built as an industrial headquarters for The Dublin Oil and Gas Company established to extract gas from fish oil. This business went bankrupt in 1834 when the price of fish oil, previously...

08 April 2010

1824 – The Flowing Tide, Abbey Street, Dublin

A fine pub building on an important corner site, The Flowing Tide has a great cut stone fa├žade at street level. As can be seen in the photograph, originally like many Dublin pubs...

Pages:12Next »