Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1826

30 September 2014

1826 – Church of Ireland, Warrenpoint, Co. Down

Originally a simple rectangular building of roughcast stone, ornamented with cut granite and a square tower, measuring 68 feet by 28 feet. It was built in 1826 at a cost of £900 which...

06 May 2013

1826 – Church of Ireland, Kilternan, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Semple Church building readily identifiable as the work of Semple with later interior decoration from the early twentieth century – including stained glass and reredos. Built by John Richardson on a...

23 November 2012

1826 – St. Peter’s Chapel & Free School, Phibsborough, Dublin

An early description of the church and school which opened in 1826: ‘St. Peter’s chapel stands at the divergence of the New Cabra Avenue, and the beautiful and fashionable ride to Phoenix Park,...

07 November 2012

1826 – Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, Scotland

Architect: William Henry Playfair Originally constructed between 1824-26, the Royal Institution (as it was until 1911) was extended in the 1830s to create the building we see today. The Egyptian sphinxes on the...

20 September 2012

1826 – Home’s Hotel, Usher’s Quay, Dublin

Home’s Hotel was opened by Scotsman George Home in 1826 but it only remained open for a few years. It’s fine Doric columned portico was a landmark on the quays. By 1840 it...

30 April 2010

1826 – St Patrick’s Pro-Cathedral, Skibbereen, Co. Cork

Architect: Brother Michael Augustine O’Riordan A t-shaped church with galleried transepts, designed by Michael Augustine O’Riordan. O’Riordan, was born in Doneraile, Co. Cork circa 1780. He was a remarkable man by any standards....

25 November 2009

1826 – Exchange House, Paris

Architect: A.T. Brongniart & E. de Labarre Napoleon wanted the stock exchange to be housed to reflect “the grandeur of the capital” so a new building was started inn 1808. The site was...

05 November 2009

1838 – Protestant Almshouse, Youghal, Co. Cork

Architect: William Tinsley Reportedly designed in 1826 but not built for over a decade, the Protestant Asylum was built in 1838 by the Protestant Relief Society to provide rooms for the homeless. It...

08 June 2009

1826 – Menai Suspension Bridge, Anglesey, Wales

Architect: Thomas Telford Prior to the bridge’s completion in 1826 the island had no connection to the mainland and all movement to and from Anglesey was by ferry. However, the Act of Union...