Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1840

12 January 2016

1840 – Gywn’s Institution, Brooke Park, Derry

Architect: Samuel Jackman John Gwyn was a local businessman, who was born near Muff in County Donegal in 1754. He later moved to Derry with his mother and began a grocery business in...

17 August 2015

1840 – Ravensdale Park, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Thomas Duff Constructed in an austere Italianate style, by Thomas Duff of Nerwy, For 1st Baron Clermont. Later changes by Lanyon & Lynn in 1859 with further additions. It was partly two...

21 January 2015

1840 – Bank of Ireland, 32 South Mall, Cork

Architect: Thomas Deane New bank by ‘Mssrs. Deane’, Thomas Deane & Co., comprising Thomas and his brother Kearns, on site formerly occupied by Harbour Commissioners’ office. Cost £3,500. Later alterations by Millar &...

27 January 2014

1840 – The Victoria Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Peter Lundy Constructed as the Victoria Music Hall, later becoming a Gospel after changes by William Fennell including the addition of a gallery and organ. Presumedly at this time, the lettering “Victoria...

18 November 2013

1840 – Magheramenagh Castle, Belleek, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: John B. Keane Constructed between 1835 and 1840, with the design exhibited at the RHA in 1840. In the Tudor-Gothic style, it was of two storeys, with irregular facades, polygonal turrets and...

15 November 2013

1840 – Pembroke Row, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

When the 3rd Viscount de Vesci married Lady Emma Hubert, daughter of the Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery. The Earl built this stone terrace of houses for the town as part of his...

15 November 2013

1840 – The Garrison Church, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Henry Ginn “The builder was Edward Flood and accepted price for materials is interesting to scan, Bricks were 2/15 a thousand. A labourer worked 10 hours for 5/- a week while the...

12 June 2013

1840 – St. Patrick’s Church, Ballyroan, Co. Laois

St. Patrick’s is a simple rectangular church with a flat-ceiling interior.

22 April 2013

1840 – St. Mary’s Church, Lucan, Co. Dublin

Officially “The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary”, but known as St. Mary’s to the people of Lucan. Construction began in 1835, but it wasn’t until 1840 that the roof...

Pages:123Next »