Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1848

29 January 2014

1848 – York Road Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon / Berkeley Deane Wise Built by the Belfast & Ballymena Railway to a design by Sir Charles Lanyon, York Road station opened in 1848. Iron roof over the plaforms designed...

04 October 2013

1848 – Brown Thomas, Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Started in 1848 with a large extension a decade later, and Italianate in style. Gutted in the 1990s for Marks & Spencer, only the facade remains of the warren of...

26 May 2013

1880c – Royal Hotel, Valentia, Co. Kerry

Now described as a Bed & Breakfast with a barrather than a hotel, the Royal is sited by the quayside on Valentia Island. Originally constructed circa 1880 and later extended in the 1930s....

22 May 2013

1848 – Clonodfoy Gateway, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.F. Jones Extravagent gateway and lodge by George Fowler Jones to accompany the grand baronial castle he designed for the Oliver-Gascoigne sisters. Quite a severe design, and quite brooding in comparison to...

22 May 2013

1848 – Castle Oliver / Clonodfoy Castle, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.F. Jones Also known as Castle Oliver, and constructed by English architect George Fowler Jones between 1845-48 for sisters Elizabeth and Mary Isabella Oliver-Gascoigne. Constructed in the Scottish Baronial style of a...

11 December 2012

1848 – St. Peter’s Church, Great Windmill St., London

Architect: Raphael Brandon Raphael Brandon was a leading architecture writer and perhaps a less successful architect. With his brother, they jointly produced a series of three works on Early English ecclesiastical architecture that...

03 November 2012

1848 – Great Victoria Street Railway Station, Belfast

Architect: John Godwin The Ulster Railway opened Belfast’s first railway terminus in 1839, and as such was called just “Belfast” until 1852. By 1852 the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway was completed, making...

27 February 2012

1848 – Market House, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Walker The development of Ballybay town during the 18th century coincided with the purchase of the Ballybay Estate by Henry Leslie in 1712. Whilst the Leslie’s were largely absentee landlords, the...

22 November 2011

1848 – Arbour Hill Garrison Chapel, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cuming Richard Cuming was an Assistant surveyor under Commanding Royal Engineers, and was responsible for designing the garrison chapel at Arbour Hill, Dublin, under the ‘direction’ of Major General Griffith George...

Pages:12Next »