Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1853

07 February 2014

1853 – No. 28 Lower O’Connell St., Dublin

A long galleried shop, probably reminiscent of similar constructed in London at this time. The facade notable for its three-storied window.Destroyed in 1916 Easter Rising. Allen was an orthodox Quaker and although his...

26 October 2013

1853 – Railway Station, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: Joshua Hargrave The railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway, directly opposite their hotel property. The hotel is considered to be one of the first hotels owned by a railway...

18 February 2013

1853 – Clery & Co., O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck Opened in May 1853 when Mc Swiney, Delany and Co. opened ‘The New or Palatial Mart’ opposite the General Post Office. In 1883, the premises was taken over and renamed...

21 January 2013

1853 – Great Southern Hotel, Galway

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Begun 1851, for Midland Great Western Railway Co., and designed by J. S. Mulvany who also designed Ceannt Station to which it is attached. Originally three storeys in height,...

19 December 2012

1843 – Loreto Abbey, Dalkey, Co. Dublin

Founded in 1841 by Frances Teresa Ball (1794-1861), a native of Dublin. Her first foundation was at Rathfarnham and was called Loreto Abbey, from which title the sisters became known as Loreto sisters....

14 December 2012

1853 – W. & R. Jacob & Co.’s Biscuit Factory, Bishop Street, Dublin

The massive factory developed over several years for W. & R. Jacob & Co, who moved their small bakery from Waterford to Dublin. Vacated by Jacobs in 1976, after they moved to a...

24 January 2012

1853 – Central School, Hamilton, Ontario

Central Public School was opened in 1853 to accommodate 1,000 students in the largest graded school in Upper Canada. Central was the first public school in Hamilton. It incorporated a scheme of an...

13 December 2011

1853 – Design for Presbyterian College, Belfast

Architect: Charles Lanyon Now known as Union Theological College, it the theological college for the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. As completed the building has some differences from the design illustrated, noticeably the first...

07 April 2010

1853 – Former Bank, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: David Bryce Built for Standard Life Assurance, the former National Irish branch on O’Connell Street has a striking pediment sculpted by Sir John Steele. One of three buildings designed for Scottish-based financial...

Pages:12Next »