Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr


13 January 2015

1857 – Sinclair Seamen’s Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Lanyon & Lynn Constructed between 1856 and 1857 in memory of John Sinclair in a Venetian style. A unique interior shipyard workers, dockers and sailors at the time of Titanic would have...

31 January 2014

1857 – Unsuccessful Designs for Foreign & War Office, London

Architect: George Edmund Street / Coe & Hofland / Banks & Barry / Buxton & Habershon / Pritchard & Seddon / Henry Garling / Cuthbert Brodrick The Foreign and Commonwealth Office building originally...

02 January 2014

1857 – Cary Building, Chambers St., New York

Architect: King & Kellum A double-facaded building which runs through the block between Chambers Street and Reade Street, and was among the first fully cast iron-fronted buildings in the world. The two ground-floor...

27 November 2013

1857 – Deane & Woodward Design for Foreign Office, London

Architect: Deane & Woodward Fourth prize design in architectural competition for the Foreign Department, which won Deane & Woodward a premium of £200.

16 March 2013

1857 – Balliol College Chapel, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: William Butterfield The existing Chapel is the third on the site. The first was under construction in 1328, with the second Chape built about 1525. It was pulled down in 1856 to...

10 December 2012

1857 – Little Aston Hall, Staffordshire

Architect: E.J. Payne Little Aston Hall was originally constructed around 1730 by Richard Scott of nearby Great Barr Hall, in a Georgian style. The house was restyled by architect James Wyatt for William...

08 November 2012

1857 – Art Treasures Exhibition Building, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Francis Fowke & Edward Salomons A temporary exhibition structure built to hold the ‘Art Treasures of Great Britain” from 5 May to 17 October 1857. The idea for an exhibition in Manchester...

26 January 2012

1857 – Oldmill Reformatory School for Boys, Aberdeen, Scotland

Architect: James Matthews Oldmill was an Aberdeen reformatory set up in 1857 and occupied by about 150 boys. Closed in 1898. A reformatory was something like a school and a prison for boys....

03 May 2011

1857 – St. Catherine’s, Meath Street, Dublin

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Dedicated in 1858 and is the second church to occupy the same site. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 30 June 1852. Construction of the main...

Pages:12Next »

Skip to toolbar