Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1860

01 March 2013

1860 – Westbourne Hall, Bayswater, London

Architect: Newman & Billing Originally built as an extension of the Bayswater Athenaeum, the facade is decorated with theatrical busts. From The Building News: “In our journal for May 2lst, 1861, we gave...

01 March 2013

1860 – Turkish Baths, Lincoln Place, Dublin

Architect: Richard Barter Definitely one of the more bizarre buildings to have graced Dublin. The main frontage of the Lincoln Place Baths was about 186 feet in length. Separate facilities were provided for...

31 January 2013

1860 – Design for Government Buildings, Ottawa, Canada

Architect: Stent & Laver In May 1859 proposals were invited for Ottawa’s intended parliamentary and departmental buildings and governor general’s residence. The first premium for the design of the departmental buildings, now known...

21 December 2012

1860 – Metropolitan Board of Works, Spring Gardens, London

Architect: Frederick Marrable The Metropolitan Board of Works was the principal instrument of London-wide government from 1856 until the establishment of the London County Council in 1889. Its principal responsibility was to provide...

21 December 2012

1860 – London Printing & Publishing Co., Smithfield, London

Architect: George Somers Clarke From The Building News: “THE Trustees of Cart’s charity have nearly completed, at the corner of Charterhouse-lane and St. John-street, Smithfield, the new premises leased by them to the...

20 December 2012

1860 – Philharmonic Hall, Islington, London

Architect: Finch Hill & Edward L. Paraire William Finch Hill was a British theatre and music hall architect of the Victorian era. Between 1856–70, he worked with his partner Edward Lewis Paraire, on...

20 December 2012

1860 – Stratton Audley Park, Oxfordshire

Architect: T. Roger Smith This building, of which we give an Illustration, is now in course of erection at Stratton Audley, near Bicester, in Oxfordshire, and is rapidly approaching completion. It stands on...

19 December 2012

1858 – Burton Closes Hall, Bakewell, Derbyshire

Architect: T.D. Barry & E.W. Pugin “THE country mansion which we this week engrave has been erected near Bakewell, in Derbyshire. It is the country residence of William Allcurd, Esq. The mansion was...

11 December 2012

1845 – Conservative Club, St. James St., London

Architect: George Basevi & Sydney Smirke The Conservative Club was a London gentlemen’s club, now dissolved, which was established in 1840. In 1950 it merged with the Bath Club, and was disbanded in...