Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1860

11 December 2012

1860 – Unbuilt Design for Wedgwood Memorial, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire

Architect: Wigginton, Bennett & Morris “MANY of our readers will doubtless remember that within the last two years an effort was made to raise subscriptions for the purpose of erecting a monument to...

11 December 2012

1860 – St. Thomas Church, Hemingford Rd., Islington, London

Architect: Arthur Billing Demolished 1947, presumedly as a result of war damage. According to The Building News, “The new church of St. Thomas, Hemmingford-terrace, Islington, has been completed, and was consecrated by the...

11 December 2012

1858 – Crypt Chambers, Eastgate St., Chester, Cheshire

Architect: T.M. Penson Published in The Building News, 1860. Constructed to continue the famous Chester Rows within the design, Penson’s Crypt Chambers is a Grade I listed building. It was built as a...

10 December 2012

1860 – Llwyn House, Oswestry, Shropshire

Architect: James Blake Published in The Building News, March 23 1860. “We engrave this week a view of the terrace front of Llwyn-house, a mansion in course of erection at Oswestry, from the...

10 December 2012

1860 – Liverpool and London Insurance Company, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Architect: Hopkins, Lawford & Nelson Published in The Building News, January 27 1860. Possibly the Ontario Bank of 1862 on Place d’Armes in Montreal. Now demolished. Interestingly, in the following issue of the...

22 November 2012

1860 – Iron Pavilion for The Viceroy of Egypt

Unusual iron pavilion to be sited on the Nile for the Viceroy of Egypt. Perspective view published in The Builder, February 4th 1860.

01 November 2012

1860 – Graving Dock No.1, Alexandra Basin, Dublin

Architect: Bindon B. Stoney A construction drawing of Graving Dock No.1, which was begun about 1853 and opened on 9 February 1860. It was constructed to be 80 feet wide and 400 feet...

11 September 2012

1860 – Mansions, Queen’s Gate, Hyde Park, London

Architect: J. Tarring & Son Published in The Building News, April 13, 1860. “ABOUT two years ago there stood a row of small inferior houses at the corner of Prince Albert-road and Gore-road,...

04 September 2012

1860 – Freemason’s Hall, Great Queen Street, London

Architect: F.P. Cockerell The first English Grand Lodge was founded in 1717, and the building was replaced in 1860 by the architect Frederick Pepys Cockerell. This was inturn replaced in 1927-33 as a...