Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1861

24 June 2010

1861 – St. Alban’s Church, Rochdale, Lancashire

Architect: Joseph Clarke “The church of which a view of the interior appears in our present number, was erected two or three years ago; but through the liberality of Mr. Jonathan Nield, of...

04 May 2010

1861 – Former Railway Station, North Wall Quay, Dublin

In 1861 the London and North Western Railway Company, which had been operating a steam packet service across the Irish Sea, moved its Irish terminus from Dun Laoghaire to North Wall Quay. The...

16 February 2010

1861 – Former Church of Ireland, James Street, Dublin

Architect: Joseph Welland Former Church of Ireland, now sadly missing most of its spire, and desconsecrated. For many years a commercial premises.

05 February 2010

1861 – Wellington Monument, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Sir Robert Smirke Built to commemorate the victories of the ‘Iron Duke’ Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington, who was born in Dublin, the memorial in the Phoenix park is the tallest obelisk...

27 January 2010

1861 – RNLI Boathouse, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Fine stone boathouse and slipway built for the launch of the lifeboat in times past. Due to size, the current lifeboat is now permanently moored in the harbour, so this little structure is...

31 December 2009

1861 – Allied Irish Bank, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: William G. Murray The Provincial Bank opened in Athlone in 1827. It was the first branch of a large commercial bank to be opened in the town. In 1861 the bank moved...

11 November 2009

1861 – St John’s Cathedral, Limerick

Architect: Philip Charles Hardwick The English architect of St. John’s Cathedral, Philip Charles Hardwick was at work at Adare Manor when he was commissioned to design this Roman Catholic cathedral. the main body...

06 November 2009

1861 – St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Cork

Architect: Kearns Deane By popular local legend, the architect Kearns Deane gave his services free, although he was not a catholic. Perhaps as a member of the local Deane family of architects, he...

02 September 2009

1861 – Royal Museum, Edinburgh

Architect: Captain Francis Fowke Forming the major part of the National Museums of Scotland, the Royal Museum is located in Chambers Street and was designed by Captain Francis Fowke, of the Royal Engineers....