Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr


23 September 2015

1862 – Monument of the Russian Empire, Novgorod, Russia

Architect: W. Mikeshine A bronze monument to the Millennium of Russia, representing the most important figures from the country’s history, unveiled in 1862. Published in The Building News, February 7 1863

16 September 2015

1862 – Design for National Bank, College Green, Dublin

Architect: Charles Geoghegan Competition entry for headquarters of the National Bank on College Green. The National Bank was a competitior of the Bank of Ireland opposite and seen very much as a bank...

17 July 2015

1862 – Proposal for College of Physicians, Dublin

Architect: John McCurdy Unsuccessful entrant in competition to design a new College of Physicians on Kildare Street. McCurdy was awarded the sum of fifty pounds for his efforts. “Quoting the substance of our...

04 December 2014

1862 – Model School, Newtownards, Co. Down

Architect: Frederick Darley Designed in a Jacobean style, the Model School opened in July 1862. One of a ]number of Model Schools around the country, it was non-sectarian with the different religions of...

15 October 2014

1862 – Minor Model Schools, Lurgan, Co. Armagh

Architect: James H. Owen Constructed with Coalisland brick and stone in an Italianate style complete with clock tower. The Model School was part of the national schools programme proposed in 1831 in which...

18 August 2014

1862 – Ulster Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Barre Opened in 1862, by the Ulster Hall Company, the hall’s purpose was to provide the expanding city of Belfast with a multi-purpose venue of sufficient size. On its opening night...

15 May 2014

1862 – Crozier Memorial, Banbridge, Co. Down

Architect: William J. Barre Crozier was a British naval officer who participated in six exploratory expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic. He was born at Avonmore House which stands opposite his large memorial...

02 May 2014

1862 – Seskinore House, Fintona, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Boyd & Batt The house was heavily remodelled and extended for George Perry McClintock. in 1862 to a design by Derry and Belfast-based architects Boyd & Batt. Demolished in the early 1950s.

14 January 2014

1862 – Free Church, Kelvinside, Glasgow

Architect: Douglas & Stevenson Opened in 1862, closed in the 1970s, it has now been converted and is functioning as the “Òran Mór” restaurant.