Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr


04 October 2012

1862 – Dublin & Glasgow Steam Packet Co., North Wall, Dublin

Architect: John McCurdy A curiously domestic top floor, almost bungalow-looking, has been added to this warehouse and office building by McCurdy. Built as warehouses for the Dublin & Glasgow Steam Packet Co. who...

12 September 2012

1862 – Unbuilt Design for St. Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Architect: E.W. Godwin Competition design from the 1862 competition published in The Building News, October 11th 1872. In February 1863, William Burges was declared the winner. His diary records his delight; “Got Cork!”,...

28 August 2012

1862 – Proposal for Channel Tunnel

A proposal for a tunnel under the English Channel by an Engineer named Chambers in a periodical, The London Journal. “The important and interesting discussion of the feasibility of connecting the railways of...

03 July 2012

1862 – International Exhibition, London

Architect: Captain Francis Fowke Held in South Kensington, on a site now occupied by the Natural History Museum. The buildings, which occupied 21 acres, were designed by Captain Francis Fowke of the Royal...

15 November 2011

1862 – Railway Station, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: John MacNeill John MacNeill’s masterpiece, a long polychromuc brick station with the stately air of a great house. Demolished and replaced in the 1960s, the site is still derelict, the great piers...

15 November 2011

1862 – Gateway, Knockdrin Castle, Co. Westmeath

Architect: John McCurdy Castellated entrance on Mullingar side of Knockdrin demesne, for Sir Richard Levinge, Bt.

13 April 2011

1862 – Railway Station, Ballymote, Co. Sligo

Architect: George Wilkinson A variant of Wilkinson’s standard design along this line, Ballymote opened on 3 December 1862.

13 April 2011

1862 – Railway Station, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim

Architect: George Wilkinson Similar in design to Dromod Station on the same line by the same architect, this is a fine solid Victorian railway station, devoid of the architectural frivolities of stations on...

11 March 2011

1862 – Church of SS. Phillip & James, Oxford

Architect: George Edmund Street Construction began on May 1, 1860, with the laying of the foundation stone by Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford. The church was designed by G.E. Street, the Diocesan architect,...