Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1868

26 March 2013

1868 – Church of the Sacred Heart, The Crescent, Limerick

Architect: William E. Corbett / W.H. Byrne Designed by local architect William Edward Corbett, but possibly to plans by Charles Geoghegan. The new church was to be incorporated into the Georgian terrace, t-shaped,...

26 March 2013

1868 – St. Pancras Station, London

Architect: William H. Barlow A Grade I listed building, itwas opened in 1868 by the Midland Railway as the southern terminus of its main line, which connected London with the East Midlands and...

25 March 2013

1868 – Gaiety Theatre, The Strand, London

Architect: C.J. Phipps Deesigned by the theatre architect C.J. Phipps, who also designed the 1871 Gaiety Theatre in Dublin, this was a sumptuous rebuild of an existing theatre. Intended as a complete evening’s...

25 March 2013

1868 – Church of St Thomas of Canterbury and the English Martyrs, Preston, Lancashire

Architect: Edward Welby Pugin On 26 May 1866, Bishop Goss laid the foundation stone for the church. Designed by Edward Welby Pugin, the eldest son of Augustus Pugin. The church was initially meant...

16 March 2013

1868 – Leyes Wood, Sussex

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw Designed as a mansion for James W. Temple. A fantastic victorian confection of brick, gables and chimneys, displaying a knowledge of tradition building forms, it is designed as a...

16 March 2013

1868 – Grecian Chambers, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow

Architect: A. & G. Thomson A three storey building, designed by Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson,, constructed as commercial premises with shop space on the ground floor front. The facade was restored in the late...

16 March 2013

1868 – Lythe Hill, Haslemere, Surrey

Architect: Frederick Pepys Cockerell During 1957 this house was taken over by the Admiralty for use by the staff of Commodore Naval Drafting and was named HMS Centurion. The Royal Navy moved from...

16 March 2013

1868 – Her Majesty’s Theatre, 57 Haymarket, London

Architect: Lee Bros & Pain Constructed in 1868 at a cost of £50,000, within the shell of the previous theatre, which had been destroyed by fire, for Lord Dudley. It was designed by...

15 March 2013

1868 – Warehouse, Southwark St., London

Architect: Ernest Bates, From The Building News: “WE this week give an illustration o£ a new warehouse, recently erected in Southwark-street, for Mr. R.J. Bates, of Little Knight Rider-street, Doctors’ Commons. It consists...