Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1869

31 March 2013

1869 – Public Office & Vestry Hall, Stratford, London

Architect: John Giles & Lewis Angell Now known as Stratford Old Town Hall. The Grade II listed West Ham Town Hall was built in 1869. It was designed by Lewis Angell and John...

31 March 2013

1869 – Finsbury District Schools, London

Architect: Fred Peck The Finsbury School District, one of several such bodies set up to provide accommodation for pauper children away from the workhouse, briefly existed in 1868-9. It never got as far...

16 March 2013

1869 – Brighton County Court, Sussex

Architect: T.C. Sorby Not quite built as illustrated in The Building News, the former County Court of Sussex still stands today in Church St., Brighton. From The Building News, February 21, 1869: “THE...

14 March 2013

1869 – Brittas Castle, Clonaslee, Co. Laois

Architect: John McCurdy / Millar & Symes Built for Major-General Francis Plunkett Dunne in 1869, to a design by John McCurdy. It was extended ten years later by Millar & Symes. Constructed of...

11 March 2013

1869 – Restoration of Chester Cathedral, Cheshire

Architect: George Gilbert Scott, From The Building News: “WE give this week two views of Chester Cathedral as it will appear when restored. Tradition, in this as in so many other cases, ascribes...

09 March 2013

1869 – The Congregational Institute, Forest Rd., Nottingham

Architect: E.C. Sutton The Nottingham Congregational Institute, a theological training college for Congregational Ministers, was established in Nottingham in 1866 by the Rev. J.B. Paton. From 1868 it had premises on Forest Road....

09 March 2013

1869 – Chapel, Victoria St., Derby, Derbyshire

Architect: Hine & Evans From the Building News: “WE this week publish an engraving of the new chapel recently erected in Victoria-street, Derby, from the designs of Messrs. Hine and Evans, of Regent-street,...

03 March 2013

1869 – Hammam Family Hotel and Turkish Baths, O’Connell St., Dublin

Architect: Richard Barter Dr Richard Barter’s second Turkish bath in Dublin was built as an extension at the rear of Reynold’s Hotel at 11 and 12 Upper Sackville Street. The baths were built...

26 February 2013

1863 – Design for new Infirmary, Leeds, Yorkshire

Architect: George Gilbert Scott Construction of the current hospital on its new site in Great George Street started in 1863 to the designs of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Before drawing up the plans...